Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did you know this ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Did you know this ?

Electoral Register.
If you wish to vote your name must appear on the Electoral Register what I did not know was that you could be fined if you refused to put your name on the register,
What happens if you don’t register
If you meet the conditions for registering to vote (eg you’re 16 or over and you’re British or a national of an EU or Commonwealth country) and you’re asked to register, you have to do so.
If you’re asked to register and don’t do so, your local Electoral Registration Office could fine you £80.
You won’t be fined if you have a valid reason for not registering – eg a long stay in hospital, or you have severe learning difficulties.
Has this always been the case ?
ref:  www.gov.uk/yourvotematters
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Did you know this ?

There are also two registers..one where the authorities sell your info on and one where they don't. You have a choice. Wink
itsme
Grafter

Thought you could be fined even if you are not asked to register. There is a legal duty to register if you move into an area as the electoral register is used for jury service.
Community Veteran

Quote from: doris
There are also two registers..one where the authorities sell your info on and one where they don't. You have a choice. Wink
I Prefer a third choice, where you do not have to be on the register.
I Do not vote
I am too old for Jury service
I will not be applying for any credit.
So to my mind why should I be on the register.
Tempted to pay the £80 but would that allow me to remain off the register ?
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

I've never been on the electoral register (in the 22 years since becoming old enough to vote) and never been fined, or had any problems with credit.
Community Veteran

Moons ago I worked for a council. At our induction (many of us from different depts) we had an electoral registration officer who openly admitted that they had numerous properties they'd never get replies from but they didn't have the resources to pursue the tennants / owners.
I laughed and jokingly admitted "I usually just bin the envelope as soon as it comes through as I can't be bothered and have better things to do". He replied back "Well we'll see what happens when you get the fine then". Despite being my employer having my full name and address and having a verbal confession I never did hear anything  Huh
Yes there are two registers. One they sell on, the other they still allow their chums to access. What is the point? - The court ruling that agreed with the man claiming he had a right not to be found said just that - he had a right not to be found. That didn't mean that the state could choose to over rule it by creating another register, it meant if he did not want to be found by ANYONE then he didn't have to be.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pwatson
Rising Star

To be pedantic (sorry!), there aren't two registers.  There's are two versions of the one electoral register.
The full version carries the names of everyone that is registered to vote, the edited version carries the names of those that have not indicated that they do not wish their details to be made public..  The edited version is the one that is sold to marketing companies etc, the full version is used for elections and is also available to the police and credit reference agencies.
Quite why everyone doesn't opt out of being included in the edited version is beyond me!  Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: DaveyH
I've never been on the electoral register (in the 22 years since becoming old enough to vote) and never been fined, or had any problems with credit.

What about DBS checks, previously called CRB check?
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

What about them?
adie:quote
Community Veteran

Quote from: pwatson
To be pedantic (sorry!), there aren't two registers.  There's are two versions of the one electoral register.
.  The edited version is the one that is sold to marketing companies etc, the full version is used for elections and is also available to the police and credit reference agencies.

Anybody can also view the full version but has to go to the council offices to see it. It is not allowed to be copied but notes can be made from it.
Community Veteran

I was under the impression the DWP use the electoral register to verify the validity of pension and benefit claims.
Community Veteran

I wonder what the position is regarding the electoral register and the data protection act ?
I understand an organisation can only hold information about you if it's relevant, ie there is a need for it.
In an earlier post I identified the reasons why it was not relevant in my case so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Also curious about the £80 fine, can a council fine you for something like this without a court order ? You can be fined for parking but that's a different issue.
pwatson
Rising Star

Answering the original question - The old system (pre June 2014) where the head of the household returns the form has a penalty of up to £1000 if the form isn't returned.  There's a higher fine of the form is returned containing false information.
Prosecutions for not returning the old form were very rare but did happen:
http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/pair-fined-refusing-sign-up-4200256
nanotm
Pro

in some areas local bylaws provide the legal means to insist that accurate data is provided but in others there are no such bylaws, I remember several years ago that a new estate sprung up within a district and a large number of the new occupants refused to fill in there forms, all of them were "invited" to attend a session of the local magistrate's proceedings held weekly in the church hall, they were informed that there was a local bylaw and offered the final chance to comply with it before being sentenced, only 1 person refused to fill there form out and he got given a £500 fine with 30 hours community service for his trouble....
no doubt there are plenty of other such local stories even if other areas didn't end up with fines being issued
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Razer
Grafter

I have been placed on the electoral register twice, not at my behest (I never register), and both occasions just before an election. So whatever way you look at it, it's some kind of fraud, whether done by some political party member or someone at the council. Wonder who they voted for using "my" ballot. ...