cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did you know that daffodils were poisonous

Community Veteran
Posts: 38,246
Thanks: 936
Fixes: 56
Registered: 15-06-2007

Did you know that daffodils were poisonous

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31176748
Quote
Supermarkets have been urged to keep daffodils away from fruit and vegetable aisles this spring - in case they are mistaken for food.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 4,596
Thanks: 751
Fixes: 3
Registered: 06-11-2014

Re: Did you know that daffodils were poisonous

Yes, I did... Grin
But, did you also know that they contain a chemical that can help stave off if not cure most forms of dementia? That's more interesting... Grin
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,338
Thanks: 608
Registered: 23-09-2010

Re: Did you know that daffodils were poisonous

Yes of course.
I'm gobsmacked that anyone would mistake them for onions or some sort of vegetable.

This reminded me of those nutty parents who protested about some Laburnum trees near a school saying their children would mistake the seeds for peas.
Rather than educate their kids the ignorant parents wanted all the trees sawn down.

Community Veteran
Posts: 6,735
Thanks: 12
Registered: 02-02-2008

Re: Did you know that daffodils were poisonous

Plenty of laburnum trees on my way to school. We knew they were poisonous so didn't eat them.
Same goes for daffodils.
I feel the topic of Darwin awards creeping up on us.....................  Lips are sealed
Community Veteran
Posts: 18,545
Thanks: 191
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: Did you know that daffodils were poisonous

It speaks volumes of the people who may be confused Wink
Community Veteran
Posts: 4,759
Thanks: 1,049
Fixes: 27
Registered: 16-10-2014

Re: Did you know that daffodils were poisonous

So are Bluebells if I recall correctly, and it won't be long till they're out in bloom.
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,586
Thanks: 206
Fixes: 14
Registered: 16-02-2009

Re: Did you know that daffodils were poisonous

I know I am allergic to them ;-(
First found out when I was very young and had been playing in a garden with them in it. (It causes swelling of tongue and lips.)
Along with shell fish & kiwi fruit & St John's Wort (tablets, not sure about the flower)
Community Veteran
Posts: 2,556
Thanks: 171
Fixes: 2
Registered: 27-05-2011

Re: Did you know that daffodils were poisonous

Apparently its the Chinese community who have a similar vegetable who confuse the two  Undecided
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 25,765
Thanks: 1,124
Fixes: 47
Registered: 14-04-2007

Re: Did you know that daffodils were poisonous

One of my absolute favourite foods is mushrooms but I wouldn't dare go out and pick a few in the wild.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,338
Thanks: 608
Registered: 23-09-2010

Re: Did you know that daffodils were poisonous

I always enjoying mushrooming.
I remember being asked by a wide eyed hippy (do they still exist) if I would like any of his "magic mushrooms" as he showed me his small bags of little mushrooms.
They looked the right type but a lot were well past their sell by date. Eat those and he would certainly get a bad "trip".
I think more people get ill by eating mouldy mushrooms than by eating the wrong ones.
Community Veteran
Posts: 18,545
Thanks: 191
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: Did you know that daffodils were poisonous

I love mushrooms. Don't know enough about them though to go and pick my own Sad
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,321
Thanks: 467
Fixes: 1
Registered: 21-03-2011

Re: Did you know that daffodils were poisonous

I have sufficient knowledge to pick daffodil bulbs in the supermarket/garden centre.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 1,481
Thanks: 258
Fixes: 5
Registered: 24-02-2012

Re: Did you know that daffodils were poisonous

Forgive me if I've missed something here, but don't daffodils have yellow flowers on them (or at least the buds), which I would have thought would be (fairly) easy to spot?
I'd also think it would be unlikely to have garden supplies that close to food - but I suppose in these risk-averse times everyone has to e assumed to be brain-dead. Crazy
John
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,824
Registered: 27-10-2012

Re: Did you know that daffodils were poisonous

Daffodils are quite often sold before they have flowered. As PeterLoftus has said, I think it's more the Asian community who mistake them for some kind of spring onion/chive native to them.
Edit: Most people don't realise it, but the herb/spice area of the supermarket is full of dangers (some are even lethal in the right quantities). Nutmeg in particular can be toxic if too much is consumed.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 1,481
Thanks: 258
Fixes: 5
Registered: 24-02-2012

Re: Did you know that daffodils were poisonous

Understand that, Andy  -but I assumed even the Asian community have the sense to look for food in the food areas of the stores, and flowers/plants in the garden supplies area.
John