Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did he really do such a bad job?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Did he really do such a bad job?

Thanks to dvorak for this link:
http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/moneyweek-and-their-end-of-britain.html
So here is the question: Many hated him, many saw him as grey, many thought he was the worst thing for this country since sliced bread but did John Major really do such a bad job?
I was a kid in the 80s through the last recession. When JM came to power we were slowly getting out of it. Now looking at the link above tonight I noticed this chart of national debt:

If you look at the early to mid nineties (when JM was our PM) you'll notice something very drastic. He's the only PM to have been in power and brought DOWN the national debt.
Then Blair came to power and with it came the new role of Celebrity Prime Minister which has carried on through to Camoron. Now our national debt (as you can see above) is way higher than ever and its all thanks to the 3 PMs after JM who couldn't stop spending on whatever had a gold star stuck on it.
Debt is undoubtedly bad for any country to have hanging over its head. It's also bad for the rest of us. The question though is this. When the country is in the **** and the rest of us are living a half decent standard of living (even if we are all up to our necks in debt for it)  was JM actually such a bad PM when he had not only stopped the debt rising but also got it under control? Back then not many of us had a lot, people were still driving old wrecks, schools were still using blackboards and whiteboards were a novelty but despite that, we really were breaking even. Despite that, everyone seemed to hate John Major.
I personally think he's a traitor just for dismantling British Rail.. but what do you guys think? As this countrys last non celebrity PM, would you now vote him back in over the current choices?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
5 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Did he really do such a bad job?

why post something that's wildly inaccurate and speculative, particularly picking out a graph that's noted as being totally wrong in the article which is all over a year out of date ?
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well seeing as no-one has particularly liked the following 3 PMs I wondered what peoples verdicts were on him.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

"more peas, dear?"
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Devonian
Grafter

Isn't that around the time our borders were flung open for all and their cat to move in and live a nice comfy life at the cost of the tax payer?  Just saying. Wink
itsme
Grafter

The debt is nothing like it was in the early to mid 19th century and after WW2