cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dick Van [-Censored-] apologises...

Fixes: 124

Dick Van [-Censored-] apologises...

...for that supposedly awful cockney accent in Mary Poppins.

As I child I loved that film and the accent never bothered me. As an adult I still like the film and the accent just adds to it's appeal.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Dick Van [-Censored-] apologises...

I never even noticed it to be honest!

I didn't even know he was american until I saw him in diagnosis murder with his son Barry.. who i only recognised because he was in airwolf.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 124

I was born within the sound of Bow Bells (if the wind was in the right direction) so could be classed as a cockneyCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Now Plusnet needs to apologise to him for censoring his surname, which is also the name of a type of dam, amusing that his forename isn't censored though... Crazy

Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

Now Plusnet needs to apologise to him for censoring his surname

Sounds like a job for ................ Superuser

Nah-nah nah-nah nah-nah nah-nah... Batman  Superuser

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I was raised in London from the age of ten so of course I picked up the accent such as it was, but it always surprised me how (posh parts apart) varied it was across the capital. Mine became a 'sarf London' one but his, to me at least, was a poor attempt to take off a "get outta my pub" East London cockney. 

Did it irritate? Well yes it did a bit, but partly because it was so badly done and sounded very much like my fellow workers when I first moved to Wales in my mid twenty's with their 'wotcha mate apple and pears' attempts. All friendly banter of course but still. Even after many years I thought I'd never lost it, not until that is I phoned my brother at work and one of his colleagues answered calling over to him saying "there's a Welshman on the phone for you!"

As for those that never noticed what a dick Dick sounded, well I guess you had to be a Londoner. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I'm not a Londoner, but even I knew the accent was wrong, very wrong. But in those days, they thought nothing of blacking up as a form of entertainment, so a dodgy cockney accent wouldn't have raised an eyebrow.

Community Veteran

Yes the accent was wrong but I always took it for what it was.

An exaggerated comic version of a cockney accent. Which Van [-Censored-] did perfectly.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Perhaps spelling it the original way, i.e. Dijk will avoid the swear filter?

@Minivanman  I called a friend who was staying with a family in Uruguay once, and knowing that he might be out, I practised what I was going to say in Spanish (which I speak very badly) if that was the case.  Sure enough, he was not in and I asked them in Spanish to tell him I'd called, my name, and that I was from London (my first name is very common) etc.  When he got in, he was given the following message:  "Your Brazilian friend (name) called, he said he is in London."  Presumably when I attempt to speak Spanish, I sound to (South American) Spanish-speakers like a Brazilian.

Community Veteran

Apparently there's 300 languages spoken in London schools, I didn't see Cockney on the list.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

That's because a jaw dropping 75% of East Enders are from ethnic minorities but Gordon Bennett, was Cockney ever a language? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Why "jaw dropping"?

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

Cockney for whopping innit?
I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Minivanman
Hero

@VileReynard

Because it has happened so quickly. What do you want me to say?

London has a rich a varied history of ethnic minorities as well we all know, but immigration and gentrification has turned history and tradition on it's head and turfed out over half of the original population in the last fifteen years - and that's just stating a fact. Good bad or indifferent, and what can we say when over a million Brits have descended on Spain over the same period and half of that number again living in France - as I was. 

I'm guessing you are sat there holding a big stick with 'racist bigot' written on it (for only whites deserve that title yes?) ready to bash me on the head, but there you have it. 

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

No - just irritated by current usage of anything moderately surprising being described as "jaw dropping".

All groups seem to have a certain quota of racist bigots, although whites seem to strive to be the most bigoted. Cheesy