Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diana Tapes Channel 4

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Diana Tapes Channel 4

Diana tapes Channel 4

Must admit I have no interest in the above and will not be watching it assuming it will be shown but  is it right for something like this to be broadcast ?

IMO these were private conversations, imagine if you made personal remarks to someone in private and they were later made available to the public, I am no supporter of the Royal Family other than the queen but showing these tapes is just plain wrong.

I thought there was some legal clampdown on what was published regarding the royal family.

Now if channel 4 were doing a documentary on the strange circumstances surrounding the death of Dr David Kelly I would be watching that.

17 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Diana Tapes Channel 4

If you want something kept private don't be recorded, whether that be by video or voice if something is private you should be able to understand what private means. I have serious doubts whether it will be shown and if those higher up do not want it shown ( inc her sons ) I am positive something could be done to prevent it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

No interest in it but started a topic about it Roll eyes

No its not right really is it but then there is so much else wrong with the world today that anything seems to go now doesn't it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Publicly funded privacy, because that's what it amounts to and anyway, she courted the media so what's the big deal.

As Private Eye puts it with Harry saying to William, "Let's make a TV programme that really embarrasses our father" to which he replies, "It's what she would have wanted" - and how right they are. Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Rather distasteful, for the profit of a commercial channel.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

It has been reported that part of the footage has already been shown in other countries.

Banning something, or talking about banning something, usually ensures a large audience.

If you are old enough to remember the late 1980s, you might remember the book Spycatcher by former MI5 officer Peter Wright.  It was banned in England but available in English along French roads leading to the Channel ports, and even in Scotland.  It was declared illegal to quote anything from the book in the UK.  I'm pretty sure that "It is" would occur somewhere in the book but if I were to claim that to be so I would have broken the law.  After a fairly short time the book became available in England and sold rather well having had the added publicity of being banned.  The book sold more than two million copies making Mr Wright a millionaire.

Jerry Springer: The Opera is another case.  I wouldn't have watched it unless religious groups had demonstrated against it.  It was quite funny in parts, and I didn't find it offensive.

DaveyH
Pro

Jonpe wrote:

It has been reported that part of the footage has already been shown in other countries.

Indeed. So banning it is very much closing the stable door...

Banning something, or talking about banning something, usually ensures a large audience.

AKA 'The Striesand Effect'

Fixes: 123

Just look at some banned songs:

God Save the Queen (sex Pistols) was banned and reached #2 in the charts and Relax (Frankie Goes to Hollywood) reached #1 for 5 weeks I seem to remember).

Wasn't that long ago a certain pop star's shenanigans was not allowed to be published in the UK even though it was widely published elsewhere.

I have no interest in watching these tapes. The lady died 20 years ago (or is she on an island with Elvis and Hitler)... let it go.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I don't understand how the same industry that caused her death are still so obsessed with her 20 years later when she is supposed to be resting in peace. They don't hound Kate the same way so what was so special about Diana? She wasn't even all that good looking.

Seems to me that while she may have exposed some hot juicy gossip about the royals she should be allowed to rest in peace. She's gone and keep turfing up old memories won't achieve anything new.  

Minivanman
Hero

Easy, she sold papers...... which we bought and read.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I doubt you will find many men watching or reading this sort of stuff

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

This will still sell papers even now, and possibly get production companies to make documentaries. If the viewing figures are high, then they can make more money from the advertising and other publicity.

As tragic as it was, sadly people will do anything to make a few £'s (in my experience).

Minivanman
Hero

@gleneagles

But isn't that we are doing here and under a topic that you introduced?

As for men not reading this sort of stuff well I guess you are right there, but only because we cannot be bothered to read made up non news rubbish and whilst not singling our certain papers of the right, some are more rubbish that others which is great because it makes them easier avoid.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

There will be no privacy if people like this get there way

Community Veteran

Oh yes Amber Rudd.. the ultimate in-touch MP

Ms Rudd is expected to tell companies that extremists should not be allowed to upload content at all.

So what that sentence suggests is that these companies and the government already know who these extremists are but deliberately allow them to go about doing their deeds interference free until the moment they commit an atrocious act and only then will they deal with it.