Did you mean: 

Dial112

Community Veteran

Dial112

Here's an interesting video I have received.  Makes some good points:
16 REPLIES
Fixes: 123

Re: Dial112

Well, that helps to explain why, when you have a "no signal indicator" you get a display informing you "Emergency calls only" or similar.
I could never understand how you could still make an emergency call if you seemingly had no signal.
Never knew about the text option, though.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I knew about dialling 112 but not about the text message option.
Also means you can use 112n as an unlock code
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Very interesting....
he appears to be quite knowledgeable about the service available , etc....but makes one simple, (stupid? ) error....
At 3.16 he attempts to show the way to make a call.... "first of all I turn my back to the wind.... ( he is now facing camera, with the wind behind him).... with the phone on his right ear.......
and wait for 1 minute for the call to connect.... now if the call doesn`t connect... it could be because the mast is over there.... pointing to his left (viewer`s right)  and his head may be blocking the signal...... so.. his advice is to.... "Turn 180 degrees"... and make the call again... ERM>>>>... he is now facing into the wind.... and the phone is still on his right ear........
why did he not just move the phone from his right ear to his left ear... still with his back to the wind.....  Huh Roll eyes

I'm afraid I'd do the same.
Although I can hold a landline phone comfortably to either ear the same cannot be said for a mobile. For some reason I feel awkward with the mobile to my right ear Huh

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

There's nothing new about 112 being cross network. That's been around since analogue days and 999 in the UK!
Interesting what he says about the texts though.
Geoff,
York.
MJN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: NedLudd
There's nothing new about 112 being cross network. That's been around since analogue days and 999 in the UK!

That's not true, despite what the 'Emergency Calls Only' indicator might have led you to believe when out of range of your own network, but within range of another.
Whilst the GSM spec has always supported so-called 'emergency call roaming' it was not implemented by UK mobile operators until 2009.
Mathew
Community Veteran

Rubbish!
It worked 16 years ago when I had cause to use it!
Geoff,
York.
MJN
Aspiring Pro

Here you go:
Ofcom today set out five priorities to deal with issues preventing widespread access to communications services including proposals to introduce an emergency mobile roaming service in the UK.
This will provide added reassurance to consumers should they need to call 999 or 112.
At the moment, mobile calls to emergency numbers can only be connected if the caller’s own network is available in the area. This is a particular issue in remote areas and means that in some parts of the UK – particularly in Scotland and Wales – emergency mobile calls cannot be connected from certain mobile networks.
Ofcom is working closely with mobile network operators and the emergency services to develop a service where emergency calls automatically “roam” onto an available network if there is no coverage from a customer’s own mobile service.

Source: http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2009/03/18/ofcom-tackles-barriers-to-communications-services-proposals-to-..., dated 18 March 2009.
The proposed changes were implemented in October 2009:
But from today it will be possible to call the emergency service numbers from another network if your own network is unavailable and an alternative provider has coverage.

Source: http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2009/10/connecting-citizens/
Mathew

Community Veteran

You omitted one point.
Following the blocking of SIM-less calls, in 2009 the UK networks introduced emergency call roaming. This allows a user with a valid SIM of a UK network to make emergency calls on any network for which they have coverage.

Prior to 2009 a sim was not required for 999 calls.
I can assure you that when I called 999 in 1996 I was out of range of my network - BT Cellnet - yet the call was connected!
Geoff,
York.
MJN
Aspiring Pro

The issue of having a SIM present is an entirely different issue. A SIM-less phone has no 'home' network by definition and thus is in an entirely different situation when it comes to 'roaming'. The ban that was introduced (as a result of abuse) had no impact on calls made with a SIM present.
In your case what I suspect happened was that your phone did manage to pick up a Cellnet signal whilst attempting to initiate the call. I cannot think of any other explanation as the sources I have provided are irrefutable in authority. There is plenty of other material on the web echoing the same facts - there was no emergency call roaming on UK networks prior to 2009. This was big news at the time for GSM 'geeks' and affected users alike.

Why, then, back in the last 90's and early naughties did I frequently get the 'Emergency calls only' display when I had no signal showing.
Or was this a symptom of something else?

MJN
Aspiring Pro

It's because the GSM spec, and therefore the phone, supported that capability. If you'd tried it you would've found that the call wouldn't have actually connected.

Then it's a good job I never had to rely on it  Shocked

Community Veteran

You just wont accept it will you?
I was no where near my home network. As 999 calls could be made without a sim you just connected to whatever network was present.
The message on my phone was 'Emergency Calls Only'!
Why do you insist that I am wrong when you have absolutely no experience of those times?
You appear to be one that always has to be right!
Geoff,
York.