Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detectives

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

Detectives

Watching the program on Britons favourite detectives and thought what has happened to American detective series like say Magnum, Columbo, Cagney and Lacey. There doesnt seem to be any American detective series on tv anymore.

8 REPLIES 8
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Detectives

Columbo spends a lot of his time re-enacting his series on FREEVIEW.. but can`t remember which channel...

Haven`t seen Dixon of Dock Green about for a few years now..... Huh

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@shutter  Was thinking more of the main channels and not repeats on the minor channels. Also was thinking of new series which only one I can think of is CSI. There doesnt seem to be any others. Will have to check with my cousin in America when I speak to her later in the week.Smiley

PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Sunday on 5 USA channel if you wish to watch Columbo, they show multiple episodes every Sunday.
Mook
Champion

Maybe it's because the newer US TV of this ilk is simply 💩 and filled with 💩y pseudo-science that only gullible mugs believe and as a consequence has been removed from the UK schedules as we more discerning.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@TTman 

Why American ones?

Plenty of British detective series being produced plus no end in seems of Scandinavian ones. Not everybody can cope with subtitles of course which is a shame because we really are spoilt for choice of some really excellent ones. 

My Mrs will (and does) watch the seemingly never ending NCIS series until the cows home but they don't do anything for me.That's the series by the way, not the cows. 

Anybody remember Hill Street Blues? Great at the time 70s series, but not so great when you watch them now for some reason.  

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
TTman
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman American as as we used to get a lot of series but seem to be none now!!Cool

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I never liked murder mystery shows. Columbo used to annoy me as did Murder she wrote etc.

Why?

Because it promotes the very idea of murder in the first place. Yes it does also put forward the idea of being caught but that assumes that everyone had a motive in the first place.

In reality many people are randomly attacked - eg stabbed outside clubs etc without even knowing the other person. No motive, hard to trace.

Making TV shows based on the very idea of murder is simply rotten IMO. I will never like them.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
billnotben
Community Veteran

SciFi and fantasy is rife in many cop shows. Numerous vampire police and the odd werewolf, future tips from a satellite, an immortal that reincarnates in the river, going back in time a day to help the dead, contact with the past with a ham radio, living in two different realities, reading the minds of dead victims.....................

An endless list with no normal police / detectives involved.

Do they even make "normal" cop shows anymore?