cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Despairing

N/A

Despairing

Yesterday morning at 7.40 a.m. I had the awful task of taking my friend's lovely 12-year old spaniel Lucy to the vet's as she had been attacked by two cross breed lurcher-type dogs. She was in a bad way and not long afterwards had to be euthanased as the damage was too extensive.
She was a lovely little dog - well looked after and no bother to anyone. The dogs were owned by two teenage boys and there was only one reason why they were out at that time in the morning when all decent teenagers should be in bed, and this was hunting.
Apparently this 'sport' is gaining in popularity amongst the inhuman idiots who reside in our area as the guests of the taxpayer.
They are cross breeding dogs to produce this viciousness and keep them out of the arms of the law because they aren't the banned types although they have the genes in them. 
They take them with them on their rabbit hunts, lay traps and use guns. Also they trespass on farm land.
We are awaiting a police visit today to give a statement - we know where they live but we are not holding our breath for a result as we are sure that they will have moved the dogs. Also, if they locate them, the law will not insist that they are put down as the attack was on a dog and not a human.
I have dogs of my own and this lovely large field next to where I live and I can't use it because I am now terrified. It could have very easily happened to me and I would have had 3 dead Cairn Terriers - a family virtually wiped out.
It is getting to the stage where I actually don't want to take them for a walk. I just want to keep them at home where they are safe.
My friends are old age pensioners who have no family of their own and have always loved their dogs. Also, the husband is not well and having the dog keeps him active and gives him something to keep going for. Now they are not sure that there is any point in getting another one when it is not safe to even go for a walk.
I don't know what the world is coming to and despair of the future. It's barbaric and there will be no recourse to the law because it doesn't give a damn. All that matters is the 'rights' of these horrible, evil little thugs.  Sad  Cry
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Despairing

Poppy, it will be interesting to have your update after the Police visit you. 
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

There isn't anything you can say after something like that.
Even if the police get the dogs put down, the owners will just get replacements.

Fixes: 125

Get the dogs to a loving home and have the owners put down!!!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

N/A

My sentiments exactly Mav! Just taken the Cairns to the woods and had to come straight back as there was shooting going on somewhere and the noise spooks them. There seems to be nowhere safe and quiet for an innocent pastime like a dog walk.
Am thinking of asking Mal if there is a vacancy in Scotland - preferably one at least  five miles from the nearest person!
Community Veteran

Surely it's illegal for the shooting so the police will have to take action.  What would happen if someone actually got shot?
Community Veteran

Sorry to read  the sad tale
maybe down here http://www.multimap.com/s/kY1V54EP ? is a little room  Smiley  - maybe Paul has a vacancy ?
but seriously - I've not heard of any problems with fighting dogs around here in rural Perthshire - we have lots of nice dogs that seem to live happy lives - although you do see some of the fighting dogs in towns and cities.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Never sure how to respond to a sorry tale like this..... initially I was going to suggest passing the story on to the local paper, and/or local tv station(s). but having thought it through a bit further, whilste it may give some satisfaction to get the problem into the public eye and ear, it will not deter the "dog owners" from carrying on what they consider to be their "sport", and may indeed, even bring about some form of retaliation back to the friends (and yourself)  which would be even worse.
You say you heard shooting going on, when you went out with the cairns, If you hear shooting next time you go out walking in/near the woods,  use your mobile and phone the police....  I am sure that a 999 call would be attended to fairly quickly when the word "shooting" is involved !...
If you also explain to the operator, about your suspicions, as to the link between shooting and the recent dogs death, they may even use the "silent approach" to try to catch the miscreants.
My sympathy goes to your friends, (and to you, too, for having to carry out the task) as I have had to have two of my dogs put to sleep, in the past 10 years, so know how much it can affect a person , deep inside.
Community Veteran

maybe - but shooting is legal on private land - maybe it has to be a certain distance ?.
We certainly regularly hear shooting around here on farmland and on the hills.
Maybe best to go into the police station and seek advice first.