cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dental appointment

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Dental appointment

In a recent post Hairy McBiker mentioned a dental appointment letter that had gone astray.
Several people have told me that if you do not see your dentist within a 12 month period you will automatically be removed from their list and in some parts of the country it is almost impossible to get  a dentist if you do not have one.
Not sure if this is accurate but if it is I can see situations where people might not get a routine appointment letter and as a result end up without a dentist.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Dental appointment

I think that may apply if you are after an NHS dentist not if you are going private
Community Veteran

Yes, I was just thinking about NHS dentists.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I had to wait for 2 years to get an NHS dentist round here, with my paranoia I thought it has been nearly 12 months since I saw them, so though I had better check. Not sure what the cut off is but I don't want to have to wait again.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I have a superb service from my NHS dentist.....
I can make the next appointment to suit my travel times etc.... and they give me a printed appointment letter, which I take home... and copy the details to my paper calendar....
24  hours ( or on the Friday before the Monday appt ). before the appointment., they phone me on my mobile, and very politely remind me that I have an appointment the following day at..... whatever time... within 10 minutes... I get a text from them confirming the telephone call, and the appointment...
Once.. I had to cancel an appointment .... and a new one was made for the same time/day  the following week, over the phone, and again, a text message to confirm...
Brilliant..
I was going to change my dentist for a more local one... ( presently have a 30 mile round trip ).. but with service like that.... I don`t think it`s worth the risk.... ! 
Community Veteran

I get a similar service from my dentist.
But with the amount a few minutes NHS check up costs they would need to send a taxi to make it good value.
Community Veteran

Most NHS dentists use the text reminder service now. It not only reminds the patient but also prevents a wasted appointment for the dentist if the patient doesn't attend for any reason.
As for costs these are paid under an agreed tariff as follows:

Band 1 course of treatment – £18.50
    This covers an examination, diagnosis (including X-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, a scale and polish if needed, and application of fluoride varnish or fissure sealant.
    Band 2 course of treatment – £50.50
    This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or removal of teeth.
    Band 3 course of treatment – £219.00
    This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures and bridges.
These do not seem excessive.
Fixes: 123

A morbid fear of dentistry has prevented me from attending for nigh on 30 years Sad  Embarrassed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hey, Mav !.... just go and see them.... remember it is only " Ten minutes of torture"  twice a year ! ! ..  Cheesy

Not quite a simple as that for me but maybe I should give it a go just for the spit and polish Cheesy

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Mav, if you make a 'first appointment' it'll only be a'check-up', they won't do anything at all 'hurty' (that comes afterwards depending on the result of the check-up).  If you neglect your dental health you may end up needing more painful treatment (though I can understand your reluctance to visit a dentist).  Look for positive reviews of local dentists online (that's what I did and I've been very pleased with the dentist I found as a result).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.

I'm not worried about the 'hurty' stuff but I can't go into details here as to why I fear it so much. Maybe some time soon I'll sort out a dentist and take the plunge.

Community Veteran

It's not the dentist that bothers me but the hygienist that I have to see after the dentist to remove plaque from my teeth, several times I have  ended up with toothache after she has finished with me.
Strange thing is that  SWMBO uses the same dentist but never sees the hygienist as her teeth do not seem to get stained yet we both eat and drink the same things, seems that wine  and tea tend to stain your teeth.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I have had many dentists over the years (currently private) oddly, I have never met one yet who liked or approved of the work carried out by the previous dentist. Particularly the last but one who was particularly scathing about how the front crowns were fitted, and promptly ripped them out to be replaced by I must admit two very good natural looking platinum backed new ones (£££)...after very unpleasant root canal work (more £££).
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

@Mav, if you discuss your reasons for your reluctance you may find they understand and can help. If you go to a practice with a few dentists there could be one to help you.
@gleneagles, standard cleaning work should be done by the dentist and is part of the standard charges. Many dentists try to pass this to a hygienist so more money is extracted from you.