cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dental Checkup

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Dental Checkup

I get an appointment for a dental check up every 6 months and get charged £17. Last checkup he said that it was 3 years ago that I had a routine x-ray and another one was due which I refused,, I think this would have upped the bill to £45.
If you are not seen by the dentist within a 9 month period you are automatically dropped from his list and in this area it's almost impossible to get on another dentists list. (unless you go private which in my case is a non starter both on cost and principle)
How do others on this forum get on ?
Clearly it's a topic you can get your teeth into !!
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Dental Checkup

I think this would have upped the bill to £45.

X-Rays if required are included in the £17 charge for a checkup. See here http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1781.aspx?categoryid=74&subcategoryid=742. Like you I go every 6 months and my dentist usually takes x-rays every 2 or 3 years.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Band 2 is £47.
My local NHS dentist is pretty good. Very busy and appointments can be troublesome but they're there and they're always advertising themselves for more patients.
They are definitely a dying breed though as there are so few of them around these days.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Gleneagles, your local PCT has a responsibility to find you a dentist. Here in Essex my PCT has done a good job at finding NHS dentists and currently there is a surplus to demand. They have financed a number of dentists across the area in the past year or so.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Yes you are correct the PHCT has a responsibility to find you a dentist but if all their lists are full then you will just be put on a waiting list.
A  New dentist opened about 20 miles from where I live and there were queues around the block hours before it opened for new patients.
Can anyone confirm if the X rays would have been included for £17 or is the cost £45 ?
Community Veteran

Yes it's included.
Band 1: £17 includes an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish and planning for further treatment.