cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Democracy in Action - I think

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Democracy in Action - I think

Early reports indicate that the Irish referendum will scupper the EU Constitution.
If true this must be a wakeup call to the Brussels bureaucrats that they need to make things simpler and easier to understand so that the general public can understand the issue. Then again if it was clearer then even more people might object.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7452171.stm
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Democracy in Action - I think

Quote from: Oldjim

Then again if it was clearer then even more people might object.

There Old Jim, I think you may have hit the nail directly on the head...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Don't worry.  They'll just do what they did with the constitution, referenda.
Keep having them, until the people get it "right"  (interpretation - vote the way the government wants them to). Wink
John
Community Veteran

Uhmm! So the Irish (bless em) voted against. So what has Brussells decided to do? carry on regardless for the time being...might ask the Irish to vote again (and again and again until they get the result they want) What I wonder will they do, if an Irish re-vote (should it happen) is a heavier defeat? Precisely why Brown refused a referendum for the UK, because he knew this is most likely what would happen here. 

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 104

Be interesting to see what the high court challenge brings regarding the UK referendum. Probably nothing Sad

Will Moderate For Thanks
Bob_Milton
Grafter

adiewoo,
Would you be happy/unhappy/downcast or or even dissatisfied if the  challenge came to nothing?
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Prompted by the title of this topic, I thought I'd see what Wikipedia had to say, it was, (with an emphasis of mine)
Democracy is a system of government by which political sovereignty is retained by the people and either exercised directly by citizens or through their elected representatives
Community Veteran

Oh yeah! when did this all start then?

Bob_Milton
Grafter

The quotation continues,
It is derived from the Greek δημοκρατία ([demokratia] (help·info)), "popular government"[1] which was coined from δήμος (dēmos), "people" and κράτος (kratos), "rule, strength" in the middle of the 5th century BC to denote the political systems then existing in some Greek city-states, notably Athens.[2]
Fixes: 104

Quote from: Bob
Would you be happy/unhappy/downcast or or even dissatisfied if the  challenge came to nothing?

I would be deeply unhappy if it came to nothing, I didn't vote for the party in power however they had a pledge in their manifesto to allow a vote on the EU constitution.
And seen as no one has shown how the Lisbon treaty differs in the amount of power handed to unelected officials in Brussels then we should be allowed to vote on it.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

since when did a manifesto mean anything?  those things have been trotted out and touted by each political party during each election and thereafter ignored.
johpal
Grafter

Heaven knows, I deeply wanted to see the Conservatives out of power in 1998, but Labour have demonstrated they are just as shabby and incompetent. However, can you imagine the Conservatives coming back in their present form? As for the Lib Dems, don't get me started!
The Dutch generally elect a hung Parliament. For a few months or so, whilst the political parties wrangle and deal, the country runs itself quite happily. Then the political in-fighting starts all over again, so there is another General Election... (repeat paragraph 2)
Could it be worse here?