cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Democracy? What democracy?

Devonian
Grafter

Democracy? What democracy?

The tide of public opinion is turning in record fashion towards Ukip, with Farage destroying Clegg the other night...  and now the idiot Milliband is demanding Farage is BANNED from ANY debate in the run up to the general election.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't it up to the British public who we vote for?  
And if Ukip are taking large numbers of voters, they have a right to be in the debates don't they?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2596470/Tories-Labour-scared-taking-says-Farage-Miliband-cal...
20 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Democracy? What democracy?

Goes to show how a scared Milliband is by showing his true colours
If he can't stand the heat, get out the kitchen
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It also shows just how stitched up our political system is and that newcomers / threats are not tolerated and they'll try to oust them.
This is wrong on so many levels.
I'm not a fan of UKIP for some of their policies but I am a fan of them kicking the other 3 out of power and teaching them that the public will not tolerate expense fiddling MPs who are only in it for themselves while selling the future of our once great country down the river.
My bro said he will also be voting ukip at the next general election. More and more people are going this way and the british public are a hard lot to upset these days but the 3 main parties have finally pushed everyone over the limit. Camoron can't even realise that he's only in power by a hung parliament and he is delluding himself that he's doing a good job looking after our nation and being voted in again.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Devonian
Grafter

The problem is, the 3 main parties, are really 1 big party. 
They give us the same lies, the same failed promises, the same taxes.
I don't think anybody could hand on heart say they agree with every single policy for a single group, there are policies about Ukip I'm not keen on, but so far Farage has been very straight up about all the policies, and has always held his hands up when the others have tried muck raking, which is pretty refreshing considering the others (Did you see Clegg Wednesday night) just try to lie their way out of previous lies!
It's time to give the new boy a go.
He can't do any worse after all.
TORPC
Grafter

Hear hear Mr. Speaker Wink
Devonian
Grafter

If I was the Speaker I'd machine gun the lot so we could start again.  Grin
*looks at the window expecting the SAS to jump through*  Grin
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
I'm not a fan of UKIP for some of their policies but I am a fan of them kicking the other 3 out of power and teaching them that the public will not tolerate expense fiddling MPs who are only in it for themselves while selling the future of our once great country down the river.

Unfortunately,  in that respect, UKIP are no better...
[quote=http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ukip-leader-nigel-farage-euro-3012708]
UKIP leader Nigel Farage and his Euro MPs claimed nearly £800,000 in expenses and allowances from the EU in one year while campaigning for Britain to leave.
The party’s grasping MEPs billed taxpayers £370,000 for office costs and got nearly £420,000 subsistence allowances for meals and hotels.

[quote=http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/apr/20/ukip-meps-misused-eu-allowances]
MEPs from the United Kingdom Independence party, whose organisation has railed against the European Union's "gravy train", have been found to have misused taxpayer-funded allowances following a crackdown by Europe's anti-fraud watchdog.
Two of the party's senior members have repaid more than £37,000 meant for office staff after diverting it to party workers based in the UK.

[quote=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2546757/I-Brussels-claim-200-000-allowances-admits-Ukip-MEP-NOTHING-Parliament-year.html]
A UKIP MEP has admitted one of the only reasons he turns up in Brussels is to claim £200,000 in allowances.
Trevor Colman has not done anything in the European Parliament in the last year, and has only taken part in half of votes since 2009.
Devonian
Grafter

@Kmilburn if you were offered money in the form of expenses for doing your job, and everybody else was claiming it, would you refuse the money?  I certainly wouldn't.
The EU is who you should point the finger at for offering up these sums of money.  After all, that is public money.
kmilburn
Grafter

While I'd happily get payed to do the job,  and claim legitimate expenses,  I wouldn't be happy to go as far as some of the MPs and MEPs do.
As for the systems that allow them to get away with it,  the only people that can change those appear to be those that benefit most from it.
The problem is,  sticking to the three main parties by voting for the fourth who are demonstrably as bad seems pointless.  I am, however, at a loss for a viable alternative.
Devonian
Grafter

Did you watch the debate on BBC2 Wednesday night?
Clegg told lie after lie after lie, and then tried to justify every lie by telling more lies.
Farage was open and honest, even when Clegg (with a child's smirk on his face) tried to discredit Farage or Ukip a couple of times, Farage was frank and open with his replies.
I struggle to see how Ukip are as bad as the other 3 if I'm honest.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Devonian
Clegg told lie after lie after lie, and then tried to justify every lie by telling more lies.

But that's what politicians do Huh
The truth would be too unpalatable.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
TORPC
Grafter

If the truth jumped up at a politician, the politician (Put your own word(s) / Phrase here) ?Huh
Devonian
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
But that's what politicians do Huh

Of course, but to do it in such a public fashion, contradicting things he had said moments earlier... and no doubt fools up and down the country will still vote for that lying herbert.
thejudge
Grafter

Oh, sheesh, here we go again!
I don't have a television so I didn't see the so-called 'debate' (and even if I had a set, I wouldn't have wasted my limited time in this world with it), but watching Clegg and Farage going against each other must have been like watching two bald men fighting over a hairbrush. A hairbrush, moreover, that doesn't even have any bristles left on it.
Farage and his mob are a joke party. Their only policy (if such it can be called) is to 'reclaim' virginal Britannia from all those nasty foreigners who have been raping her ever since she lorst Indiah. Historial evidence and precedent tell us that, in times of straitened economic circumstances, cheap and loud populism is always something that will play well with an underinformed and malinformed public who have been fed the same old fish-heads about Europe from so many supposedly different (but all really the same) sources for so long that if the Sun/Mail/Express/Telegraph axis told them that it was now EU policy to kill the first-born in every family, about half the readers would automatically believe them (and much of the remaining half would say, "Mmmm, Might well be true. I wouldn't put it past them. There's no smoke without fire, etc., etc., etc.").
As for Mr Farrago being 'a man of the people'...really? A privately-educated ex-City type who wants to slash taxes for the wealthy whilst removing virtually all employment protection legislation for everyone else? A 'man of the people'? Don't think so somehow, do you? Seems like 'same old, same old' to me.
Oh, I've no doubt that the Kippers will at least hold their share of the vote from the last EP elections, and may well increase it. I would ask, however, what the rest of Europe is likely to think about the UK (more specifically England, as UKIP has hardly any support in Scotland and not that much in Wales) sending them a pack of elderly reactionaries who, in previous times, would have been obsessed with fortifying Dover in order to see off Boney and the Kaiser. And if you say that you don't remotely care what they think, then fine; but you have to live with the consequences.
Community Veteran

Quote from: thejudge
As for Mr Farrago being 'a man of the people'...really?

I don't think most people/voters see him as that at all.
They see him for what he is. That is the man who's holding a very sharp knife to the throats of the other party leaders while whispering quietly in their ears.
And it's working as he has their full attention and they're are listening to his every word.