cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dementia

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Dementia

There have been a number of recent reports regarding dementia and it's not a topic I would wish to make light of as I have known a few people who have suffered with this terrible condition but I was listening to a retired doctor who has been diagnosed with the condition and he sounded very articulate to me, he described how he forgot certain words or names at times but I though it was fairly common of elderly people to forget things, I certainly do, And I would probably have some difficulty remembering a list of words if asked to repeat them some time later.
2 REPLIES
Fixes: 124

Re: Dementia

I've discussed this in this forum to some extent within the last year in respect of my mother.
Her short-term memory is shockingly bad; she can forget a conversation from just a few minutes ago Sad
However, she is very lucid 'in the moment' when talking to her whether it be recent TV programs, how she feels, what she wants or any other subject.
My brother and his wife (who live with her) insist she must have dementia because his wife has worked with the elderly many years ago. I did a lot of research into this (both online and ringing several help lines) before discussing it with mum. After pressure from my brother I reluctantly made an appointment for an assessment with mum's GP. She was of the opinion that mum was not suffering from a form of dementia as she clearly understood why she was seeing her, what was discussed and fully understood her own failing memory.
From my research tests for dementia can be very subjective without quite invasive techniques such as CT scans, blood tests and so on which mum has not wanted to undergo. I, and the GP, feel that while she can make such choices there is no need for further investigation.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Re: Dementia

many older people exhibit signs of cognitive impairment, but that does not mean that they either have, or will develop, alzheimer's.  cognitive impairment is an exaggeration of the faulty memory recall we all have throughout our lives - the moments of forgetfulness "what have i come into this room for?" "don't tell me, it's on the tip of my tongue."
cognitive impairment is a long way from alzheimers.