cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dementia friendly screenings

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

Dementia friendly screenings

Until recently, I was unaware of demetria friendly film screenings.  Could this be the next big thing? ===============================================================

Whilst all are welcome, this screening is specifically aimed that those with dementia, their friends, families and carers.

Billericay Community Cinema is very proud to host this film; it is our aim to be able to reach ALL sections of our community.

We have been working with local groups to adapt this screening to be suitable for those with dementia. Lower sound levels, slightly high lighting levels and enhanced signage all feature and Dementia Friends will be on-hand throughout

http://mailchi.mp/b3eca05a25d8/y0g4v8i2mn-926541 

Capture.PNG

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): All caps title edited as per Forum rules.

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
13 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: DEMENTIA FRIENDLY SCREENINGS

Tea, cake, coffee £4.00? wonder if I can blag it!!

bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

Ask for tea, cake and coffee and then a few seconds later ask again.
Fixes: 125

While on the surface that may seem funny watching someone you love with dementia do just that can be extremely upsetting and distressing.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Tell me about it @Mav My lovely old Gran ended up with it and ended up in hospital not remembering my dad who visited her etc, taking her clothes off in front of everyone and cursing swear words we all never knew she knew and I miss her deeply.

bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

That's why if I get dementia or alzheimers I'm going to a clinic in Switzerland. I'd rather die by my own choice and with what shred of dignity I have left than waste away like that. Same if I was diagnosed with any kind of terminal illness or deteriorating disease. I think modern society has placed such a hoohah on "we're all living longer!" nobody is considering the quality of life. What's the point on living until you're 80 or 90 or even 100 if you spend 23 hours of the day unaware of who or where you are.

It's a [-Censored-] out look for anyone. Which is why as an existential nihilist I have such a sense of gallows humour about life, illness and death.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

God only knows what my Dad must of been going through emotionally, having a mum that can''t remember him when he visited her. 

Fixes: 125

Re: Dementia friendly screenings

@Steve

Sometimes when I visit my mum (she is still in her own home) she can be reasonably lucid then suddenly she will ask who I am and what I am doing in her house.

But I think the hardest part is when she asks about my dad with questions like "what happened to him?" (he died in 2010) and "Where are the rest of my family?". The most heart-breaking, though, is when she asks why her parents have gone away and deserted her - she'll be 90 this December!

@bjallenby

Humour (and I can have just a dark sense of humour) helps us get through it but we keep that between ourselves as some people just find it too upsetting to joke about it. My daughter has got to point that she finds it so distressing she can't visit which, in itself, distresses her further and she feels a sense of guilt. I tell her that her 'real' nan would fully understand.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

If one thing in life scares me it is Dementia. My gran had a heart of gold, bubbly and full of love joy and happiness. I was just a teen when she got bad and it went downhill for her very fast. She would be in her 90s if she was still alive and my father passed away a few years back in his early sixties. I loved my gran more than I loved him but he gets full respect for somethings that life threw at him that I ( as of yet ) have not had to experience and I have experienced a lot lol

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Just as hard on those who care for a relative with dementia is the decision to cope with someone at home or agree their admission to a rest home.

It's not just the upset of them forgetting who you are but the responsibility of meeting their physical needs on a daily basis and keeping an eye on what they are doing.

A friend of ours was looking after his wife's mother who had dementia and locks on the outer door had to be changed as she had wandered out of the house in the middle of the night and was knocking on neighbours doors.

One time they went out for a short period only to return and find her on the floor with a severe cut to her head, after that they never went out together unless a neighbour was able to be in the house with her.

One aspect of dementia can be aggression, imagine trying to change someones clothes who did not recognise you, wash their hair or clean their teeth, everyday items we take for granted, the pressure on relatives must be enormous.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I never got to see my gran one last time, god knows I tried but my father wasn't having it. He didn't want me to see her. Then the police banged the door one night. You have to get to Perth immediately they told him. He flew out the door but never made it. I just over heard some ' adult conversations ' of what he went through. I visited relatives a few years ago now they had a photo of my gran just before she passed. I told them to keep it!!

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

It's a rotten thing to suffer from and rotten for the family.

I traced a long lost unknown and untold about sister recently, only by now she was in care and suffering from dementia but through another family member I was told the husband would not let me see her. Was he right and who was he trying to spare, her or me? 

Sadly she died only a few weeks after I found her and we were never able to meet but even if she had not known me, it would have been nice to have at least met. 

I'm with @bjallenby on this one, dignity in dying not indignity in oblivion and if and when I'm on that road I'll be pulling my own plug - of that you can be sure.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Leapy
Aspiring Pro

It seems the world (and Daily Mail) is full of reasons on how we get dementia and how to limit and prevent it. Such as Marmite!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4380968/How-Marmite-help-stop-dementia.html

Brain Food?Brain Food?

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I wont be rushing out to buy that @Leapy you can keep that nasty stuff!! @Minivanman That is unfortunate sorry to hear that. On the upside you traced her at least there is that. My birth mother evades me to this day. I have tried a few things but all dead ends. I know nothing about her as a person she apparently left my dad when I was just a few months old and that was that. He never spoke about her and I tried and tried to get any info about her from him but got nothing. I now know her full name albeit a maiden name perhaps and her D.O.B. etc. Can I ask you what route you went down that you managed a successful outcome? Could use all the advice I can get!!