Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay(ish) a cold by 24 Hours

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Delay(ish) a cold by 24 Hours

Afternoon  Grin
So, ive got what looks like the onset of a cold (stuffyish, runny nose, headache, no sore throat yet), and I need to delay it for 24 hours (college interview tomorrow) - Anyone got any methods how to delay it or even kill it?
Only two conditions:
1. No booze. Im fifteen, and it wouldnt be wise :L
2. Only using stuff thats commonly found in the house. Im off school (took a day to finish coursework  Grin )and cant really go anywhere.

Cheers
8 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Delay(ish) a cold by 24 Hours

Lots of fluids and sweat it out by wearing plenty of warm clothing even in bed. But you will need a good shower in the morning Cheesy
Also Lemsip to help keep symptoms at bay.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Every 2-3 hours wash your mouth out , and gargle with cold pressed sunflower oil, pulling the oil through your teeth for 4-5 minutes then spitting the oil out.
Other folk say do it once a day for 20 minutes.
At the end of the process wash your mouth out with warm salty water (teaspoon of salt to ¼ teacup)
The germs, microbes, Bacteria, toxins and virus in the throat, nose, mouth are attracted to the oil. DON’T swallow the oil.
It is an Ayurvedic form of medicine. Read more here http://oilpulling.com/
Works for me
(Olive oil, Sunflower oil or sesame oil  will do as a standby)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

In addition to the Lemsip you might want to try Olbas Oil which is good for the relief  of Catarrh, colds & Blocked Sinuses.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

A freshly squeezed lemon mixed with honey can be quite nice in some slightly cooled boiled water - I much prefer this to Lemsip.
Oh, and Good Luck.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.

Oh, yes. Eat raw a onion and put a eucalyptus leaf in your handkerchief.
My friend, a florist, swears by this Cool

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Vicks First Defence works for me

With all this advice, please tell what you tried and how successful it was.
Good luck with the interview.

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Didnt have time to have a look at this yesterday, was too busy finding the letter i need to take to the interview!
Water, a bit of raw garlic, and then vit c and zinc tablets and salt water gargling seem to have (not stopped) but made the symptoms less today. All i got is a slightly stuffy nose, and I dont sound like an alien which is all good. Hopefully by 2pm interview time, Il still be alright.
Thanks for wishing me luck! (: