cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay Brexit

Anonymous
N/A

Delay Brexit

Well, it would seem that delaying Brexit is the will of the (Brexit Select Committee) people, so there really shouldn’t be any argument about such a delay.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/18/brexit-transition-period-plan-splits-mps-select-com...

42 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Re: Delay Brexit

Fortunately they can only put forward their views which are of minor importance when compared to the decision made by the majority of people who bothered to vote.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Surely Gleneagles, you refer to the intelligent loyal nationalists who voted to leave compared to the deluded sheeple flock led by the nose by Shepherd Cameron?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Jonpe
All Star
Fixes: 4

A girl on The Big Questions (BBC1) this morning put forward the argument that since she was too young to vote in 2016, the referendum should be rerun.  A bit like the old woman reported to have called an Irish radio phone-in to argue that the introduction of the Euro should be delayed until all the old people were dead.

Anonymous
N/A

Perhaps some of those ‘intelligent’ Brexit voters have a solution to the Irish border problem?  The Government sure doesn’t seem to have one and without a solution to that, I can not see how Brexit can go ahead at all.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Sorry, but only a dimwitted buffoon would believe anything about Brexit they read in the Guardian.

Never ever have I read such overt bias on the subject in what used to be a well respected newspaper. They have some good articles sure but Jesus, I wish they would leave this particular bone alone.

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Anonymous

Simple, a United Ireland.

No intelligence needed Wink

Anonymous
N/A

@Minivanman

You seemed to miss out your solution to the Irish Border question. Or maybe you don’t have one?

By the way, I believe a fair bit of what I read in The Guardian about Brexit, and I can assure you I am far from being a ‘dimwitted buffoon’. 

Anonymous
N/A

@Minivanman

Apologies, our posts clearly crossed in the ether... 

A united Ireland would not be acceptable to the so called loyalists in Northern Ireland - which might be a small problem don’t you think?

@Minivanman wrote:

No intelligence needed Wink

And clearly none involved in that response! Wink

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Anonymous

Of course it would be a problem, but a united Ireland would solve it - even if they have never so far as I know ever been a united nation before.

Neither am I suggesting an overnight Brexit solution but notice could be given for the handover of sovereignty in much the same way as happened in Hong Kong and many other colonial possessions. 

As for Loyalist, that sort we could well do without and sure there are many fine folk over there but jeepers creepers, they do have their fair share of small minded religious bigots.  

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Jonpe wrote:

A girl on The Big Questions (BBC1) this morning put forward the argument that since she was too young to vote in 2016, the referendum should be rerun.  A bit like the old woman reported to have called an Irish radio phone-in to argue that the introduction of the Euro should be delayed until all the old people were dead.

I wasn't born when they ran the vote for joining the EEC, let's re-run that vote too... Funny

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Ah yes, "significant support" with 67% in favour on a national turnout of 64%.

I'm no good at maths, but what's that as a percentage of an unlikely 100% turnout. You can bet your bottom dollar it would not look anything like 'significant support' and yes, I did vote for it, but who would have guessed how dominating and intrusive it would be. 

Time for an alien overlord to take over. Smiley

Anonymous
N/A

@Minivanman

The 1975 referendum result was 17.4 million in favour of staying in the European Community, out of an electorate of 56.23 million. So that was 43.35% of the electorate (and, incidentally, 30.9% of the population) in favour of staying in.

As you say, “not anything like ‘significant support’”. Although, of course, rather more ‘significant’ than the 37.4% of the electorate (26.5% of the population) who voted to leave in the 2016 referendum.

I also voted to stay in the EC in 1975, and who would have guessed how beneficial it would be to what was, after all, the ‘sick man of Europe’. 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Touche Smiley

beeceegee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman wrote:

Never ever have I read such overt bias on the subject in what used to be a well respected newspaper. .

You haven't been reading the Daily Mail recently? Although I'm not sure that was ever a "well respected newspaper"