Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay Brexit

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Delay Brexit

I only read that paper when a link is provided and purely out of curiosity as I'm afraid regular reading would damage what few brain cells I have left. Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Champnet
Aspiring Pro

So, what's your paper the Morning Star ?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

How did you guess?

Forward with the lumpenproletariat! Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
kdiment
Rising Star

My opinion might not have much weight but, for what it's worth, I am wholeheartedly in agreement with alanj and The Guardian. I have felt safer and among friends ever since we joined the EU. To leave will be a disaster. We cannot hope to be better off in any way. We could be better off only of someone else becomes worse off. We have no negotiating power. We will simply be laughed at whenever we attempt to strike any kind of deal with any other country. Cancel Brexit before it is too late.

Champnet
Aspiring Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

How did you guess?

Forward with the lumpenproletariat! Thumbs Up

And were you a radical left-wing student in the 70's ?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well for me that would have been the 60's, but then most politically active student were left wing.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I love all this worry about what the future will bring, no sense of adventure!! Crazy

After all, did Columbus poo his pants and hide under the bed when setting out to discover America? Did Stephenson give up on Steam incase he was thrown off his Rocket engine? Did Neil Armstrong stay on the ground when the other guys went to the moon? Nope, they went off on an adventure that changed the future, they went out on a limb to prove they could do something, and they did it, just as Britain is doing now, yes we're not in the best condition to start off with, but at least we're doing something and showing the world that we're not just a bunch of Euro-sheep... Smiley

Onwards and upwards to the future I say, bring on the new challenges and takes us from the stagnant doldrums we have become a part of... Smiley

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain? Brave Hungarian girl who forced King John to sign the pledge at Runnymede and close the boozers at half past ten! Is all this to be forgotten?"

Spoken by the lad himself of course - made you proud to be British Thumbs Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@alanj wrote:

@Minivanman

The 1975 referendum result was 17.4 million in favour of staying in the European Community, out of an electorate of 56.23 million. So that was 43.35% of the electorate (and, incidentally, 30.9% of the population) in favour of staying in.

As you say, “not anything like ‘significant support’”. Although, of course, rather more ‘significant’ than the 37.4% of the electorate (26.5% of the population) who voted to leave in the 2016 referendum.. 

None of that matters. As I said before, those who chose not to vote (like me) were not bothered either way and therefore it is unreasonable to class them as not supporting the final decision if they did not oppose it by voting.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanj
Aspiring Pro

@twocvbloke wrote:

the stagnant doldrums we have become a part of... Smiley

Stagnant doldrums? The UK was the fastest growing G7 economy before the 2016 referendum. We are now the slowest.

As for Columbus. Neil Armstrong and Stephenson... You are barking up the wrong tree there. This is Brexit - more Clive Sinclair and his C5.

alanj
Aspiring Pro

@7up

It matters very much, 26.5% of the population is nowhere near a sufficient mandate for the disaster that is Brexit.

Fixes: 170

@alanj

Perhaps your crystal ball is wrong?

It may not be the disaster you are forecasting. Either way the votes were cast. I do wonder what the reactions of the Remainers would be towards to Brexiteers if the former had won and the latter were bemoaning the result.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Nobody knows what the future holds, so far the only predictions I've seen are based on cynicism and negativity, basing their ideas of the future on nothing but their own beliefs which are flawed to begin with... Smiley

The future will be what it will be, if it's great, then we did right, if it's terrible, who really cares? Crazy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@alanj see my previous post. The result was fair.

Those who did not vote did not oppose the result and accepted it instead. You can not then argue that the result of those who did win is not right because so many did not vote. That's just sour grapes.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Mav

Had the other lot won I reckon the result would have been accepted with a whimper rather than the sore throated roar we are hearing from the losers after all, it would have come as no surprise. Nothing worse or so vociferous as those who expect to win only to find they have lost.