cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Definitely not what was intended!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Definitely not what was intended!

Nah, I'd rather have a computer that says "Error detected - Something wrong, slam brakes on" rather than "Error - I could slam the brakes on and prevent takeoff, but I won't so the pilots and passengers have a nice surprise when the wheels fall off", better safe than sorry, as I said before... Grin
Computers aren't like HAL 9000... Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Point is... if the computer has made a blunder on the runway, whats to say it won't while its in the air?
Airbus didn't foresee the runway problem... What does that say about flght safety?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

When it comes to flight safety, I'd say there's a bigger risk of the plane being blown up by a terrorist than a computer failure causing total failure mid-flight... Grin
Of course, in flight, the pilots still have the option to switch to manual control which can override the computers, so even if there was a fault, it could be flown manually to land safely, therefore there would be, or at least shouldn't be, any crash or loss of control...
The safeties in place on modern aircraft are quite extensive, the one used in this aborted takeoff being the automatic braking system, preventing an aborted takeoff (whether it was caused by erroneous data or not, it's still a safety mechanism), everything from backup power, redundant backup computers, batteries, mechanical linkages to the controls, and other backups, when it comes to commercial flights, safety is paramount... Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
When it comes to flight safety, I'd say there's a bigger risk of the plane being blown up by a terrorist than a computer failure causing total failure mid-flight... Grin

MH370.
Community Veteran

Yes, that indeed was a one-off failure, how many times prior or since has the same failure occurred?
Luzern
All Star

Quote from: billnotben
The runway length required would depend on the takeoff speed so I assume this constantly changes.
Maybe the pilot just didn't accelerate early enough?

And weight of fuel etc. I recall that Madeira's runway is very  short. Quite often the flight would have to fly lo w fuelled to the neighbouring island to refuel before contuning journey.
I admit that was over 20 years back.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

Madeira's runway was extended in 2000 by 1km, and is now 2.75km long. It can accommodate 747s. The only problem you are likely to encounter there now is high wind!
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
Yes, that indeed was a one-off failure, how many times prior or since has the same failure occurred?

How can you be sure it was just a one off?  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

How can you be so sure that it isn't? Cool
Logical reasoning would state that if it wasn't just a one-off, planes would have been disappearing or crashing all over the place many times over, so far no similar occurrences have happened since (the one over Ukraine, humans, the one into the side of a mountain, humans, MH370, still under investigation), and ones prior to that were discovered to be metal fatigue or flawed construction techniques, nothing to do with the computers operating the craft, what happened on MH370 is still somewhat of a mystery, it could have been an electrical fire, it could have been rapid decompression, it could have been suicide, it could have been sabotage, it could have been structural failure, but in the absence of the facts, it's pretty ignorant to just "blame it on the computer"... Grin
Community Veteran

Are you saying that the MH370 disappearance was down to a computer failure? That's strange because it did a u-turn, flew more or less back the way it came, and then a left turn down to the Southern Ocean.
Sounds more like a "human error" to me.
Community Veteran

I don't think a human would decide to do a 180 degree u turn by accident Roll eyes
Community Veteran

If something major happened requiring the plane to reverse course, a pilot in charge would do a 180 turn intentionally to return to an airport, presumably what happened afterwards was a loss of control of the plane resulting in it ditching in the sea, either through death of the crew or a total failure of the aircraft, hence the theories of disaster, rather than an errant computer hell-bent on genocide...
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
I don't think a human would decide to do a 180 degree u turn by accident Roll eyes

Exactly! ... "human error" as in deliberate action! I was being tactful.
Community Veteran

Yes but a 180 degree turn isn't something you do without noticing either.
Community Veteran

?  You've lost me now.