Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December luck - Motoring..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

December luck - Motoring..

Absolutely sick of it now.

First year i fell short of a few quid on a car the missus bought.. long story but the bank got the better of me and swallowed the money she sent me to use via paypal for the deposit.

2nd year the car's head gasket went

3rd year the replacement car blew it's gearbox to bits - literally blew metal teeth out of the gearbox's outer casing (and yes, lumps of metal were falling out onto the road)

4th year a smack on black ice, wrote off the car, ended up having a rebuild... All of these in December.

See the pattern emerging?

Then I became unemployed. No work in December meant no car use. This went on for a few years as i'm sure a few of you may well remember. Dismantled the rebuilt car after a head gasket failure, put another engine in, that naturally announced it was also blowing it's HG in what i'm pretty sure was probably Dec.. oh you get the idea.

Well a couple of years back i got back into work.. miraculously i managed to avoid any major motoring incident that particular year.

Last year i had a prang - straight into someone elses motor - you got it, December.

This year (yeah.. you know..) i've had another incident. Now my NCD is at critical level.. i'm now left with just 3 years clinging on to what will be a very thin lifeline. Urgh. Breakdowns, things going bang, blowing up gear boxes... these are bad enough but now my insurance is being dealt a severe blow too. The stupid thing is i'm not even a nutter on the road, i'm actually quite a careful driver.

I should add that this and last year i didn't claim for own damage so at least i didn't have that to worry about (the autobox punished me though and packed up around April) and the motor i'm now using has just got grazed but will no doubt fall apart or turn into dust or get struck by a meteor or summink...

I think it's pretty bloody clear that i'm either cursed or am suffering from bad luck that is actively hunting me. What can i do to stop it keep happening?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
9 REPLIES 9
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: December luck - Motoring..

@7up 

I think it's pretty bloody clear that I'm either cursed or am suffering from bad luck that is actively hunting me. What can i do to stop it keep happening?

Buy a bike? 🙂

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

lol.. not much chance of that with the line of work i'm in these days... but cheers for trying

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

When a spark plug blew out and stripped the threads on a car I had a few years back I asked the guy taking me and the car back home what was the make of car that he rarely if ever had to rescue.

His reply was, ‘ Everyone asks me that question and the answer is I have rescued every make of car over the years and the ones that appear to breakdown the least are the less complicated ones’

That supports my own theory in the less fancy stuff there is on a car the better, add to that buying a bog standard car from a maker that has good reviews for a specific car and you greatly reduce the chances of a breakdown but nothing is guaranteed.

Mrs Gleneagles has driven second hand Toyota Yaris for years, all I ever do is change oil & filter and check other stuff, never had a problem, it’s plain and simple, easy to work on and cheap to run.

My current car is a nine year old Nissan Juke, does have a few gadgets which are handy but if they should ever go wrong it will be a big bill, so fingers crossed.

😀

Fixes: 1,130

Feel your pain.. mrs heating broke, £8 part. £500 to dismantle dashboard fully to fit it.
This is after other issues last December.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

@7up  said......

What can i do to stop it keep happening?

Answer....

Buy a Skoda...... !

Smiley

Fixes: 1,130

Didn't realise Skoda's prevented accidents. Magic! Roll_eyes
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

Same here with less fancy but more reliable cars, but I do sometimes feel that with my ten year old Fiesta I should be doing a lot more than I do now - which is to keep a check on the condition and level of engine oil, keep an eye on the brake and hydraulic fluids and make sure the coolant and window washer is always topped up.

Must be more to looking after the car than just a dipstick but there never seems to be.

Tyres of course, but all in all far less to potter about with than when I first starting driving (and sometimes pushing) back in the 60s.

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

@Minivanman wrote:

@7up 

I think it's pretty bloody clear that I'm either cursed or am suffering from bad luck that is actively hunting me. What can i do to stop it keep happening?

Buy a bike? 🙂

@7up 

Forget that suggestion of buying a bike....why ?

.Arrive at work all sweaty and no where to get a shower.

.Sore bottom guaranteed.

.Risk you life on todays roads.

.pray it’s not raining and windy

.Be hated by that queue of motorists trying to get past you on a narrow road.

.Hope you are not stuck with a puncture or chain coming off.

.Expect to fall of due to grids, pot holes, wet leaves on the road.

......yes done all that, voice of experience, stick to the car.....or a small van....simple and useful.

😊😊

Hero
Fixes: 5

@dvorak wrote:
Didn't realise Skoda's prevented accidents. Magic! Roll_eyes

Some of the newer ones probably can ...

Skoda Front Assistant