Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt collectors

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Debt collectors

Didn’t want to add this to a recent post where PN are chasing someone up who is deceased for a little over £ 3. by threatening debt collectors, for a company to do that is a utter disgrace without making it clear how that sum can be paid either by phone or email with that information being contained in the request for the money rather than searching through pages of an account.

Consider the situation in reverse where some new customers were enticed by offers of a reward or card with a value to £25 plus but either had to go through so many hoops to get it or in some instances did not get it at all.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 202

Re: Debt collectors

@gleneagles 

I agree that as a headline it is shocking. However we do not know the full story.

It may be that the person who closed the account did not wait for the final bill before cancelling the DD. We do not know how this is supposed to work if the bank account is frozen when the account holder dies. We do not know if a final bill was sent out and ignored, automatically triggering the Debt Collection email.

I suspect that this is a case of automatic systems being triggered. I have recently raised the lack of bereavement services here.  This is a further example of why the current procedure is inadequate.  https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Bereavement-and-Plusnet-Customer-Services/m-p/1811896...

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

No doubt the computer will get the blame again for their latest self inflicted mess up.

If customers took the same stance as plusnet regarding money they are owed plusnet would be gone in the blink of an eye.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Baldrick1 

Correct, we do not know the full story, however you cannot deny that over the past few years a considerable number of customers have had issues with the finance department at PN including issues with debt collectors yet despite this similar problems remain.

There is no reason, IMO that PN cannot include in any requests for payment clear instructions on how such payments can easily be made.

Do you know many firms where you cannot make a payment via the telephone or PayPal.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 202

@gleneagles 

Believe me we are totally on the same page here. It's simply crazy the way that the billing system works.

I was just trying to point out that in this particular case the problem is probably the billing system, which we and I suspect many Plusnet Agents (though they dare not publicly admit), agree that is not fit for purpose This is different than the easily gained perception that the problem is stone hearted Plusnet employees who are not willing to do the right thing in bereavement cases.

As I keep banging on about, Plusnet should have a dedicated phone number and properly trained staff to deal with bereavement.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Debt collection agencies seem to have been introduced as some sort of third estate, only this one is in the shape of the bogeyman between debtor and creditor.

R.jpg

Smithers, release the hounds!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

If the person had been with PN for a while, the appropriate thing to do would be to write off the £3.  If this was a  customer leaving PN, she would be offered a discount of much more than £3 to renew her contract.  Threatening grieving relatives of their customers doesn't look good in the (local) media either and won't send customers flocking to PN.