cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debit card hacked

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Debit card hacked

Today (or at least found out today) my main debit card had been hacked.
I attempted to pay for a service this morning for under £30 and had the transaction declined twice. I didn't try it a third time as this I know would disable my card for some time if it failed again. Fortunately I had sufficient cash on me as I had only 10 minutes earlier withdrawn more than enough from an ATM, A quick re-check at the ATM showed that I had a healthy balance, but an available withdrawal balance of £0
Taking the shopkeepers advice I called my bank for an explanation as there are (should be) more than sufficient funds available as I had also done a balance check as well while at the ATM.
I found to my horror that a transaction for multi-thousands of pounds for apparently events tickets was pending on my account. Needless to say the transaction was nothing to do with me. My first contact with my bank passed me through to another department who confirmed that the transaction had been authorised and paid.
I was then subjected to a ten minute personal status check (to which under the circumstances I understood and did not object). The happy outcome was that in the course of the next few days the amount would be refunded to my account and investigation proceedings would be started by the bank.
Of course I confirmed that my debit card had not been out of my possession or allowed to be held or used by anybody else at any time. Except when actually being used it is always kept in a metal case and never out of my view.
The bank could only suggest at this time that this may have been a purely random hack, My guess is that many debit cards issued by a bank have the same 12 numbers at the beginning of the 16 digit card number only the last 4 are unique to the card.
One other suggestion of mine is that if a transaction is made over the phone (which I have done occasionally) all the card details are taken including the 3 digit security number on the back of the card. It seems to me an unscrupulous operator could easily write those details down for later fraudulent use, the only thing they wouldn't have is the PIN number, but then they wouldn't need it for an online or verbal phone transaction.     
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
71 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Debit card hacked

You were fortunate to spot it so quickly and alert your bank of the problem.
As your card was used to buy event tickets I assume there is a possibility the bank can stop the tickets being issued or at least used.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

That's their problem.
I wonder what the answer would be if you had one of those new-fangled contactless cards?

Community Veteran

@artmo, on the face of it, it seems to me that tracing the event tickets to an address shouldn't be too difficult, presumably someone is expecting them in the post, or collecting them at the venue ticket office.
I have no idea what or where the tickets are for, they could for instance be for the Rio Olympics or any other high profile event. It happens that if they are for a foreign country event it would rule us out straight away, as our passports expired in May 2015 and we haven't renewed them.
What does surprise me slightly is that the transaction is so large, but still within my capabilities to pay it, but so uncharacteristic of my normal use that my bank didn't query it with me first, but then again perhaps that's asking too much. 
My card has been cancelled and awaiting replacement later this week. Does anybody know if a transaction limit can be in force on a card transaction so that it requires verification. Apart from car servicing I can't remember the last time I used my debit card for a transaction over £150, they are mostly in the order of £10 to £50.
@vilefox, my card is indeed one of those "new-fangled" contactless ones. I have requested the replacement to not be, but the bank C/s I was speaking to wasn't sure if that was possible now.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I have the bank's app on my smartphone and check my balance and transactions several times a day. It has proved to be a good policy as I have intercepted rogue transactions twice. Both times I was refunded the amount immediately but had to fill out a form to help with the inquiries. They did warn me that they would reclaim the payment from me if their investigations didn't favour me  
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 121

Quote from: Petlew
What does surprise me slightly is that the transaction is so large, but still within my capabilities to pay it, but so uncharacteristic of my normal use that my bank didn't query it with me first, but then again perhaps that's asking too much.

My debit card has been compromised a couple of times over the last 10/11 years but no transaction was more than around £150 and I got the money back each time. Recently I have had several texts from my bank asking me to verify certain transactions. The first time this happened I ignored the texts thinking it was a scam and my card was blocked and a new one sent out. A recent text proved to show a small transaction that was nothing to do with me for a purchase abroad. This was probably to test the card is active before a larger amount was taken. Again my card was blocked and a new one sent out - usually received within 5 working days. An inconvenience but preferred to having to claim any money back. I now check the transactions in any text and reply.
Quote from: Petlew
@vilefox, my card is indeed one of those "new-fangled" contactless ones. I have requested the replacement to not be, but the bank C/s I was speaking to wasn't sure if that was possible now.

I was told by my bank that they no longer issue non-contactless cards!
@PeterLoftus Yep, now do the same!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@mav, did you mean that to say that your bank no longer issues non-contactless cards?
I've actually had a contact-less card longer than most, as I was part of a random selection for a pilot trial (I don't know why I was selected). Most of the machines that would read the trial cards were located around Canary Wharf in London. Somewhere I never went, and never used the facility until it became more widespread.

Fixes: 121

Ooops, yes and have amended my post Embarrassed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I understand that all cards are contactless these days and whilst some banks may be able to issue a non-contactless one most will not.
@vilefox, this transaction obviously wolud not have made any difference whether the card was contactless or not. The banks have very good security in place with contactless transactions.
itsme
Grafter

Was the CVV number used?
I made a large payment this week, the maximum for a Share ISA, and paid this by debit card. Was not asked for the CVV number but was advised to contact my bank to warn them about the payment to stop it being stopped. As I was going the branch to pay in a cheque I told the cashier about the payment and was informed that they couldn't do anything and it could be picked up by the anti-fraud department and the payment stopped.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: PeterLoftus
I have the bank's app on my smartphone and check my balance and transactions several times a day. It has proved to be a good policy as I have intercepted rogue transactions twice. Both times I was refunded the amount immediately but had to fill out a form to help with the inquiries. They did warn me that they would reclaim the payment from me if their investigations didn't favour me  

The question to ask one self is why the rogue transactions happen. In 39 years of using credit/debit cards I've had 1 fraudulent transaction and the reason for this is that I throw a statement away without shredding.
Also care need to be taken when viewing pending transactions as companies and amounts may not be recognised until they go through the system.
Community Veteran

@itsme. Not sure what your saying I should ask myself. Both SWMBO use credit and debit cards for our convenience. I have used my cards in Nigeria and Cameroon though.  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 47

I bank with TSB and they use a system they call ClickSafe for online transactions.
In the past ClickSafe has asked me to type in a password and other times has called me for verification of a more unusual transaction.
More recently it just displays the ClickSafe pop-up and authorises the payment.
To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been any fraudulent activity on my card.
Very scary prospect though.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If someone hacked your debit card and your bank account showed zero am I right in thinking that both your card and account would be frozen until the matter was sorted out ?
What I am getting at is that you would have no access to cash in your account until the matter was sorted which could take some time ?
Community Veteran

If you have a good relationship with your bank I wouldn't think they would object to providing £500 or so for a few days until they sort things out.