Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deaths in the NHS

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: Deaths in the NHS

Quote from: itsme
and it's not a requirement as the GMC does not make it statutory but only advise as good working practice.

But as I said earlier, to gain employment in the NHS insurance would be one requirement that had to be fulfilled.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Is it possible that it depends on the individual trusts though artmo? - As we've seen recently on the telly not all of them have the same scruples.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

AFAIK all trusts would require this.  It's one extra safeguard.  However, if you have an issue with poor treatment your initial recourse is with the trust and not the individual doctor. If you enter an NHS hospital it is the trust that is providing your treatment.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yeah thats how I'd think it would be too hence the idea that the NHS has it's own insurance for the doctors in its hospitals that the others have mentioned.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

So if a trust only employs doctors who have insurance cover why is it the NHS are paying millions of pounds out in compensation ? If it's due to medical errors then surely the Trust can sue the insurance company of the medical staff involved ?
Moving on to Nurses, the majority will either be in the RCN or a Trade Union. Both these organizations provide insurance cover for members, not sure what the current rates are but many years ago Insurance cover for members was a million pounds so is likely to be much more today, so same thing, if the Trust gets sued why does it not in turn claim the money back from the insurance cover for the Nurse or Nurses concerned ?
A Doctor or Trained Nurse is expected to behave in a Professional way and provide a standard of care or treatment appropriate to their skills and that why they are paid at a rate above the average minimum wage and in some cases well above the minimum wage so if they fail in their duty why should the Trust Suffer unless it can be clearly shown the Trust failed to provide what was necessary for staff to do their job ?
Bit of a joke really using the word Trust ? I Suspect a number of people would think that was the last word they should use in a title.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Doctors do have a very good source of help in case of problems in the Medical Defence Union.  To answer your specific question maybe this will help.
The vast majority of doctors practise to high standards and consistently deliver good quality healthcare.
However, despite generally high standards, things do sometimes go wrong as a consequence of negligence on the part of a doctor.
Where this happens, and a patient has suffered some harm, it is important that you have adequate insurance or professional indemnity cover to financially compensate the patient for any loss suffered.
All employers are vicariously liable for the negligent acts of their employees, provided that the employee was acting in the course of their employment.
This principle applies across all settings in which healthcare is delivered, regardless of who the employer might be.
For the NHS in England, cover is provided through the Clinical Negligence Scheme for Trusts (CNST),  which is administered by the NHS Litigation Authority. The
NHSLA handles claims against its NHS member bodies. Claims are against the NHS body concerned, in their capacity as employer and provider of healthcare.
There are equivalent schemes in Scotland (the Clinical Negligence and Other Risks Indemnity Scheme), Wales the Welsh Risk Pool) and Northern Ireland.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It seems that some professions get a lot of help in protecting their jobs regardless.
Dodgy bankers, incompetent teachers, and the negligent doctors.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Don't forget dodgy MPs!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
It seems that some professions get a lot of help in protecting their jobs regardless.

Seems a sensible way of dealing with complaints against the NHS IMO.  How else would you propose  things are dealt with if you had a complaint?
We mustn't forget the NHS deals with millions of patients each year and most are dealt with in a highly satisfactory way.  There has to be a procedure for the small number that go wrong.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Quote from: billnotben

Seems a sensible way of dealing with complaints against the NHS IMO.  How else would you propose  things are dealt with if you had a complaint?

I'm with artmo on this. Skilled doctors take a long time to train up and frankly there are never enough of them and those do deserve to be protected / covered. No matter how good they are everyone makes mistakes at some point. Don't get me wrong I'm not excusing them but we can't expect them to get the sack and be instantly replaced.
What I do think however is that the really bad ones who repeatedly make one blunder after another should be struck off permanently yet its these ones who seem to benefit the most from NHS protection as they continue doing duff work and never seem to be removed.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

If a Health trust or any other organization is employing a Doctor who constantly makes mistakes then it must be in everyone's interest for their employment to be terminated.
It would be up to the GMC to decide if a Doctor was struck off but they can only investigate if the problems are brought to their attention.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Sprite
What I do think however is that the really bad ones who repeatedly make one blunder after another should be struck off permanently

Yes when I say dodgy, incompetent, and the negligent those are the ones that should go. Not the generally good ones who make the odd minor error.
"Don't forget dodgy MPs!" That goes without saying. Smiley
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Name one " non dodgy" MP ?
By non dodgy I mean one who has not claimed "allowances" that were legal but  morally questionable, not been in trouble with the Law, has not had an affair, has no involvement in companies outside parliament and has kept promises made to the electorate.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Name one " non dodgy" MP ?

Actually - I spent a very pleasant couple of days with one a couple of months ago - turned out to be the husband of my wifes best friend.
Nice bloke and has decent morals too.