Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Death of the Tea Bag? Maybe.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Death of the Tea Bag? Maybe.

Since finding out those damn things do not rot down in my compost, and in an effort to care a bit more about the environment we have now switched from tea bags to loose tea and using an infuser teapot - which seem to be getting rather popular. 

Crikey, I'd forgotten how nice a decent cuppa tasted.

Remember one spoon per cup plus one for the pot, and of course having to use a tea-strainer? Perhaps many of you still do but it's been years since we did. Never drained the cup either, just left that bit in the bottom and chucked it away!  

Paid over £30 for one of these 500ml Stump infuser pots and daft I know, especially since I've now seen them on line for under £20. You can of course get others even cheaper on that well known online site but, you get what you pay for - or you should do anyways.

Capture.PNG

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Death of the Tea Bag? Maybe.

And there was me thinking the "haha!! I killed you!" thing from online war games was finally coming to an end!!! Funny

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

As a very keen fisherman, I can't see me buying one of those just to make a brew when off fishing for a weekend. I always take tea bags with me, so it looks like I'm going to save the tea bag companies world-wide and be a super (tea bag) hero.

Seriously though, I understand your point on not rotting down but I think this depends on the actual brand, We use Tetley tea bags and found they rot down well in my wormery where other top branded tea bags don't.  Wink

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Champnet
Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

Never drained the cup either, just left that bit in the bottom and chucked it away!  

That explains it, never drank tea since my pre-teens, never touched it since coffee appeared.

My Wife has always questioned why I leave a small amount of the drink in the cup...........

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Fishing as kids @Pete11 we always took a flask, and if camping Mum would always have her kettle..... and Dad his primus stove - I can still smell the methylated spirits Wink

But surely if weekend fishing and boiling for a brew anyway, why not loose tea?

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman

The reason for tea bags is we always use them at home, so why fork out more money for a pack of loose tea ( not that I'm tight..just errmm..careful) I just raid the tea bag caddy.  Wink

I take a flask if I'm in a match or just out for the day, but at times I'm gone for 2 or 3 days so I take a stove and a plastic container with clip-down lid and that's got tea bags, sugar and a small tub of powdered milk in it, in case of rain it stays dry.  Thumbs Up

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.