Did you mean: 

Death Wish Pedestrians

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Death Wish Pedestrians

Three this Morning.
I have my Lights on.
1) Backing out of a tight space, about two feet clear at the front, obviously needing to do a point turn, and some silly B walks in front of the Car whilst I am moving forwards !!
2) Silly B #2, runs across the road just in front of me, good job I was only doing 20mph.
    The newish tyres ( full tread) and ant-lock brakes did a good job of stopping the car.
3) Backing out of space in Supermarket Car Park, the obligatory beep on the horn as the Hybrid is extremely quiet when hardly moving, halfway out, and Silly B #3 walks, swerving, behind the car.

Surely in the Rain, Pedestrians need to be extra vigilant.
None were Children.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Death Wish Pedestrians

It never ceases to amaze me about the number of people who walk behind a car as it's reversing!
As a driver, it's something I never do as I see it as my responsibility to keep clear of a vehicle that has a restricted view. Plus, so many drivers these days seem to have no 'spacial awareness'!
This happens all the time in supermarket car parks, so these people are also drivers!
Geoff,
York.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I normally have a window open so I can hear them !!
However, today, it was teeming down, so I kept the drivers window almost shut, and I probably couldn't hear pedestrians anyway !
But I could hear Car Tyres on the wet surface.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: PlusComUK
<snip>
the Hybrid is extremely quiet when hardly moving,
<snip>

That is the a big problem, for some & those mobility scooters are the worst especially in the town centre(s) when they creep up behind you on a paved area
You could toot / beep your horn to your hearts content, however not all pedestrians are going to hear it
I wonder if any of those pedestrians are either partially or fully deaf ?Huh
Community Veteran

No matter how far away I indicate some pedestrian (student) nearly always crosses the road just as I'm turning the corner.
Fixes: 125

I think a lot of it with younger people is simply a case of 'it won't happen to me' Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: billnotben
No matter how far away I indicate some pedestrian (student) nearly always crosses the road just as I'm turning the corner.
That is because they have right of way https://www.gov.uk/road-users-requiring-extra-care-204-to-225/pedestrians-205-to-210
turning at road junctions; give way to pedestrians who are already crossing the road into which you are turning
TORPC
Grafter

Not just children, as older folk also walk into the road, even where there are lights that tell drivers it is their turn
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
That is because they have right of way

I'm well aware of that hence the early indication.
The same is true of any car park manoeuvres as well.
It doesn't stop it from being uncaring and foolish of pedestrians to do that.
The choice of being hit by a truck or possibly hitting a pedestrian isn't that rare. So looking left and right before crossing the road is still a good thing if you value your life.

"give way to pedestrians who are already crossing the road into which you are turning"
I think it used to be stated and I would argue that the vehicles turning manoeuvre begins with the indicator. So stepping off a pavement in front of an indicating vehicle is a death wish not a right of way.
TORPC
Grafter

I think @some roundabouts / crossings
The pedestrian(s) crossing are too close, & in high traffic areas either more Pelican light(s) / bridges or underpasses would be beneficial
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Oldjim
Quote from: billnotben
That is because they have right of way https://www.gov.uk/road-users-requiring-extra-care-204-to-225/pedestrians-205-to-210
turning at road junctions; give way to pedestrians who are already crossing the road into which you are turning

Sorry OJ, I will have to argue that the pertinent word is ALREADY.  When a pedestrian sees oncoming traffic then steps into the road, effectively demanding the traffic to stop at short notice, they are putting themselves at risk unnecessarily.
I have to agree with Pluscomhere. Pedestrians don't take due care, and its not always children either.
TORPC
Grafter

there is also the boot on the other foot when Motorist(s) are also prone to driving without due care & attention
There are other factors like, sun in the eyes of either the pedestrian or motorist / distractions / loud music & much more, to be taken into consideration
Devonian
Grafter

You should try driving a LWB van around the lanes of Devon, where reversing is just as common as moving forward... except when going backwards, I only have 2 mirrors... yet people (pedestrians and motorists) insist on forcing past instead of giving way.