cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deaf as a post...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Deaf as a post...

I am partially deaf by virtue of almost total loss in my left ear, but my right is almost normal (for my age) I should wear a pair of hearing aids, but in fact don't too often as I find I can in most circumstances hear well enough without them, and inside large halls (for instance) background noises can be a real menace with the aids in situ.
I also cannot put up with the aids when driving, my car is not particularly noisy, but the aids amplify engine and tyre noises to a level where they are intolerable, so I definitely don't use them while driving.
But, this has a problem with it if Mrs P is with me, Mrs P is quite softly spoken, and I cannot hear her when she speaks to me <on my deaf side> this really annoys Mrs P when she has to shout.
What I am looking for is a simple (probably battery operated) closed circuit sound system, whereby she could wear some sort of microphone and I wear an earpiece. The deaf organisations do show this sort of thing but at huge expense. What I am thinking of is the sort of device two-up motorcyclists use to talk to each other (without the helmets of course!!)
I used to use one of these Pure in car Audio http://www.amazon.co.uk/PURE-Highway-In-Car-Radio-Transmitter/dp/B0012GLXMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1... which bluetooth connected to the car radio, It occurs to me that something like this might be available somewhere.
Any suggestions?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Deaf as a post...

There are several units available wired and wireless (bluetooth) depends on what you want to spend on them, the cheapest are just a mike/earpiece connected to a 2way amp cost <£20 the more expensive are BT based and can cost >£100.
Community Veteran

HB that would be just what I am looking for. Do you have any examples or a search title to use?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Would a neck induction loop work?
Community Veteran

here is a cheap one £14
HERE is a bt one
just search for motorbike intercom
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Here's two hands free ones...ignore the fact they are kids. The packaging is kids but the actual walkie talkies look ok.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281402595422&alt=web
(Edit, forgot link)
(2nd Edit..Wrong link) ..I'm doing well here. Angry
thejudge
Grafter

Why don't you get a left-hand-drive car?  Wink
Community Veteran

Let your wife drive ?
Maybe something combined with your hearing aid on the induction loop setting ?
Community Veteran

@ the judge, now that is a very good idea.
@ AndyH, I'm sure it would, but that would require me to wear the hearing aids, which I'm trying to avoid for reasons in the OP.
@ Dom, unfortunately due to disabilities she can't now drive. I've been quite lucky, and been married to two excellent drivers, so if it were possible, I'd be quite happy to do so.
To those who have offered links, I'm researching them now, I''ll get back to you.
Thank you all.

Community Veteran

@Hairy Biker, the £14 one is now £7.95. mixed reviews from bikers. but at that kind of money its worth a try as a throwaway if its no good.
I'll let you know.

Community Veteran

The problem on a bike, is a LOT of air noise in the helmet, also it has to fit UNDER a helmet which by design is tight fitting, so getting the positioning right can be a pita. I use a system that fits into the helmet but it was >£200 for the parts as it also has mobile phone, mp3 inputs etc and noise cancelling so a bit ott for your needs.
As you say for £8 give it a go, I think I had one like it from Aldi several years ago, problem was the wires the pillion had to remember to disconnect before doing anything. It was ok as far as it went but the noise cancelling ones have it beaten hands down.
Community Veteran

Thanks HB, I've ordered the cheepie. It had already occurred to me that amplified engine/tyre noises might be an issue. But its worth a try, the main problem might be getting the unusually gadget resistant Mrs P to cope with it. But if she's Ok with it then we can think about something better later on.