Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deadliest Catch

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Deadliest Catch

Program on Freeview  DMAX channel... about crab fishing in the Bering Sea.

Some terrific camera work... but how do they get those external shots of the ship(s) pounding through the waves , like a racehorse leaping over the fences. and shots from in front of the ship`s bows, as she dives back into the next massive wall of water.

13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 201

Re: Deadliest Catch

@shutter 

I’ve not seen it but could they have been shot using a drone?

shutter
Community Veteran

possible, but ... where would the pilot of the drone be?   they are usually some 200 to 300 miles from the nearest land, and fishing in force 10 winds and 50 ft waves during the night...

Well worth watching... especially if you eat crab... make you really appreciate those guys out there...

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

No, I mean a professional version of the sort that you and I can buy, operated from on board the boat. I imagine that stabilising this platform in a force 10 is simply a matter of the quality of the control system.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Drone was my first thought as well but how I have no idea. 

Programs of late have had some terrific camera work that at one time would have seemed and been impossible.

All clever stuff as they say, but only half as clever as those drone shots being beamed from Mars by the Merkins and the Chinese.   

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1  Stabilising the platform ( drone ) .. in a Force 10.  hmm...

gotta have some really good skills in operating a drone from a bucking ship. while the drone is bucking about in the wind gusts of up to 80  to 100 mph.. making instant allowances for the troughs of pressure created by the wind effect on the waves, ..

try keeping your hand still, while putting it out of the car window at 70 mph, as a very poor example ! .

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

OK let’s assume that this is big budget stuff. My design idea: First I put a differential GPS receiver on my drone and if necessary set up a fixed shore DGPS for my reference. I now know very accurately where in three dimensions my drone is. I then add a heading, roll and pitch sensor so that I know the orientation of the camera on the drone. I can now let my drone buck about and use data processing of the raw data to simulate a stable platform from which the shots are taken. ‘All’ that is needed is a bucket of money and a properly programmed computer to process the raw data.

Alternatively use a helicopter with platform stabilisation built in, the sort of thing used for locking searchlights on to an object.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1    Hmmm   an interesting idea.... but... not totally convinced......

Helicopter, was my first thoughts... but... again... flying in those kind of conditions would be extreeeeeeemly difficult..  if not downright dangerous... remember ... 200 to 300 miles from shore......  imagine the cost of fuel...  apart from the cost of insurance... and the cost of the very very very high wages the pilot and cameraman crew would ask for.

Nah..

Having been at sea, on an Aircraft Carrier ( and a Destroyer, and a Frigate )  in similar weather conditions,  the FlyCo would not sanction flying ANY aircraft,  in those conditions....  Except, maybe, if there was a man-overboard situation.... however.. it does take some time to get a chopper from the hangar, to the flight deck, and then make it ready for flight... by which time the "casualty" would probably be dead, due to hyperthermia or drowning.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Some may have been shot from a second trawler, small cameras can be put almost anywhere these days and of course video manipulated to give maximum effect.

That is not to take away from the excellent result of those videos.

Sure it’s good money but a very risky job.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

But was there a 60mph ish wind when shots were taken? As you will be aware, high sea states persist after the main storm has moderated. I’m not decrying the difficulty but there are clever ways of enhancing films to accurately simulate conditions.

shutter
Community Veteran

This....  https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/deadliest-catch-cinematography-camera-safety-1202168043/

makes interesting reading....   As suspected, the camera crew have to go through some rigorous safety training before going to sea... 

but... no info on my query....   even echo`d by the first comment/question at the end of the piece !

shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1  Agreed... and as you say.... the program makers seem to have buckets full of money,... apparently there are several "fixed position" cameras fitted to various places on the ships... and it is expected that they will lose a few cameras "fixed and hand held" overboard on each trip.

Lots of film/recorded video taken and then edited accordingly... to produce the final episodes.

BUT..it`s still a fascinating program to watch.

( and yeah... they do use a helicopter for some  high altitude wide seascape shots... but mostly they would be taken in (at worst) reasoneable weather/flying conditions..e.g  the "coming home" shots at the end of the show .)

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 6

I don't think I've ever watched any of that series, but perhaps they use long selfie-sticks?  

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@gleneagles wrote:

small cameras can be put almost anywhere these days and of course video manipulated to give maximum effect.

Just ask the former Health Secretary.