cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead end road sign

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Dead end road sign

`er indoors, whilst out doors today, asked me a question I could not answer, so I thought I had better post it on here for all the eloquent professors to have a go at
Why is a "Dead End Road" called a "dead end road" ?
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Dead end road sign

'cos it don't go anywhere.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

If you try and go past the end your dead  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I wish you hadn't asked that - it seems to back a long way as the standard definitions are relatively generic
  1.  An end of a passage, such as a street or pipe, that affords no exit.
  2. A point beyond which no movement or progress can be made; an impasse.
It appears to have first been used in 1886 http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=dead but no context is given
pierre_pierre
Grafter

from the Pearsons Longmans dictionary (On the EeePC)  - away frm home again, baby sitting my Mum while sister gon on cruise
dead end
n
a street with no way out at one end;a situation from which no more progress is possible;

or
dead end
n
1 死巷, 死胡同 2 绝境, 僵局, 尽头

Community Veteran

Yes, I know what a dead end road is...... Cheesy
It is my ambition when out driving, to go down them, just to see where they lead....  Roll eyes
some of the most peaceful bays, and coves in Wales, have been found this way.... Smiley
The question was "Why" is a dead end road so called.... Undecided
a "dual carriageway" is self explanatory...... but a "dead end road" ? ? ? ?  Crazy
Community Veteran

Quote from: artificer
'cos it don't go anywhere.

Wrong !    Dead end roads do go "somewhere"..... otherwise there would not be a need for a road at all !  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

From the French, Cul de sac
Community Veteran

Yes, Santiago, I used to live in one .... even had it on the road sign at the entrance to the road !
Por quoi?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As a matter of interest, when was the last time you saw a sign for "Dead End Road"? I rather thought the sign said "No Through Road" or as Santiago pointed out "Cul De Sac" Suspect what you're actually looking for is "Dead End Street" which was a song by the Kinks, which in turn was from an American term for a er' cul de sac.
I just had a look through my Highway Code (new edition) and there is no sign shown for "Dead End Road"
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

This was not the origin of the question, but just found it by googling "images" for dead end road.
Location Map-the Brighton Animal Hospital
Exit 490 at the Route 441/Linden Ave exit.  Travel east to the second traffic light. Turn right onto Linden Ave. Make first right onto the dead end road.  The Animal hospital is at the end of the dead end road on the left. 723 Linden Ave.
unquote

Seems to be an appropriate unfortunate  place for an Animal Hospital ! ! !
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you should ask HPsauce about the road to Malaig Think it goes 70 plus mile to a ferry.
Also the road to Southend (the Scottosh one)
jmd
Grafter

A "dead end road" is also when you find you are not getting anywhere in your job/life ................... it does not only refer to travel in a literal sense................... but in the same way as when you find you are in one then you need to do something about it - otherwise you get stuck.................
Community Veteran

I have been there, done that , and come back.... !  so a "dead end road" does lead to "somewhere", as previously mentioned. 
So far, nobody has come up with the answer  why? is a dead end road so called....

When your life ends, you are dead, but you still have not finished with the road of life..... you have to take the final journey, to the cemetery, and a hole in the ground.  then you are dead and buried, but even that is not the "end of the road" as eventually your body will be consumed by various bacteria, animals, leaving your bones behind....
then the Romans come back in 2,000 years time, and dig a hole, find your bones, and say. he/she must have been travelling on a "dead end road" , probably on a plusnet forum asking silly questions that nobody knew the answer to....(just like they do on timewatch prog today !)  Cheesy
Community Veteran