cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daytime Running Lights

Fixes: 47

Daytime Running Lights

New European law states that all new cars from February 2011 must be fitted with Daytime Running Lights.

Many cars I see already have them especially Volvo and Audi.
This was basically off an advert for these from Halfords.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
74 REPLIES
haggis
Grafter

Re: Daytime Running Lights

Most cars now have the slot for the relay to enable this .I know my 1995 Rover 600 had and my older Vauxhall Cavalier also had it so I guess the provision has been there since probably 1990 or so .Actually it would be a great idea ,Motor bikes are supposed to use headlights all the time now funny i see quite a few that don't

On a related subject I was looking on Halfords site and noticed the LED replacement bulbs for indicators, side lights etc but none are apparently street legal.
Why would this be so as I am sure I have seen led technology on commercial vehicle lighting particularly buses. Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Day running lights have been a legal requirement for at least 30 years in Scandinavia, so its likely that any car sold there will have the capability built in, just need minor change to activate it
The antique regulations stated an incandescent element, but that must have changed, or it could be that the particular vehicle has to be EU type approved to use them, A few years since I was on the Regulations Mailing list and had to file them for my department
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I also just got the Halfrauds email too. No idea why they're trying to panick people buying new cars when the car manufacturers are probably already fitting them to new cars... and cars built before Feb won't be under any legal requirement anyway so they're trying to scare people into parting with money.
I never even signed up to their emails either - luckily its a disposable email address that i used to contact their customer services once. The moment i start getting spam they're in trouble..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
New European law states that all new cars from February 2011 must be fitted with Daytime Running Lights.

Incorrect. You will NOT see every new car with DRL's.
I'm not sure what the exact regulation is, but it relates to new model types APPROVED from whatever the exact date is (possibly during this month).
It takes quite some time from Type Approval to being on sale in mass markets. For example I don't expect the "new" 2011 Ford Focus to be covered.
Denzil
Grafter

It does seem a bit unnecessary sometimes to see cars with lights on when it is bright and sunny, and I can't help wonder if anyone has thought about the extra fuel consumption all these millions of lights will generate. I suppose though, if they all use LEDs it won't be that much.

This probably explains my LED bulb query...
Plenty of new cars have LED taillights too. Replacement LED units for
ordinary filament ones aren't legal, as filament lamps give near 360
degree light output and have a rudimentary reflector to give the required
output pattern. LED units give a very narrow beam, so require some form of
diffuser rather than reflector.
Community Veteran

I believe replacement LED's for FRONT parking lights (i.e. sidelights) are no longer an issue since dipped headlights became mandatory in darkness (and some specific weather conditions).
Ditto for rear number plate illumination (provided they are effective)
LED's do have advantages in longer life, more robust, use less power and give whiter light.
Community Veteran

I have to admit to getting a bit narked when i see cars driving on side lights.  What's the point.  If it's dark enough for lights, it's dark enough for dipped headlights  Angry
John
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the law on light is that believe it or not, juist look at the Highway code, is that you only need side lights within a 30 limit zone
pierre_pierre
Grafter

You MUST
    * ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
    * use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
    * use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226)
Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise).
[Laws RVLR regs 3, 24, & 25, (In Scotland - RTRA 1984 sect 82 (as amended by NRSWA, para 59 of sched Cool)]
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Nothing against driving lights as long as it doesn't encourage more fog light abuse.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

once again, it is illegal to use front or rear fog light when the visibility is more than 100 metres
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise).

Funny thing is, that 30 minutes was there when I was a kid long ago (lighting up time) but I'm CONVINCED it changed to sunset/sunrise for motoring purposes quite a few years (decades?) ago.
As for sidelights/streetlights, is it streetlights (plenty of roads over 30mph with those) or 30mph (plenty of 30mph roads with inadequate or no lighting) or BOTH?
If in doubt, don't do it.  Roll eyes
Personally I drive on full-beam headlights all the time when visibility is poor (night, etc.) EXCEPT when it would inconvenience others (traffic, pedestrians, residents etc.) or the conditions (e.g. fog, falling snow etc.) make dipped headlights better.