cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daylight robbery!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Daylight robbery!!

Yesterday, I accidentally dropped something quite heavy onto our Hotpoint gas hob, damaging one of the regulator taps. The knob (er! hobnob Smiley) is around 2 inches in diameter and maybe a couple of inches high probably less. Made from black plastic (or possibly Bakelite) feather-weight and really a quite crude moulding.
I found a replacement online (from Hotpoint)
Guess how much?...I have put the price further down the page, but have a guess before scrolling down. SWMBO when asked said 50p.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
£13
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Daylight robbery!!

It's the same with most named items, cost many times the manufacturers  price because it has the makers name on it (sometimes the name is just on the fancy box it comes in)
I Once read in a car magazine that many car parts come from the same factory but those that are sold in a box with the makers name and sold at the dealership cost pounds more !
PS. Just remember not to drop anything on the cooker again !  Wink
Community Veteran

A car magazine worked out the cost to build a car from parts bought from dealers and it was many more times dearer than the original car Sad
Community Veteran

And one clever business man imported VW Beetles from Mexico, stripped them down and sold them as spare parts.
Community Veteran

Indeed, a set of four (cheap and nasty...and apparently not very strong) plastic knobs (£52) represents a little under a third the retail price of the entire hob...ludicrous!!
In fact, the knob does not have the makers name on it, nor marked in any way, just plain black plastic/Bakelite. The same knob is used (according to the website) on 15 of Hotpoints' other products.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Next time you want a plastic knob..... shop around... try places like RS Components.....or Maplin......  (Not sure about B&Q or even ScrewFIX ).... You could probably end up with a set of four for the price of one Hotpoint one !...
zedingrove
Grafter

Couple years ago I had a Toshiba Laptop, purchased from PC World but got an extended warranty from Toshiba as PCW's was 3 times the price.
So anyway somehow a key from the keyboard just pinged off, and just would not go back on...
How many would think that if you have a warranty it covers everything, well it does but not the keyboard?
They were very nice though and let me have a new key for just couple of quid + delivery
Who wants to stab a guess at how much it cost to deliver, bearing in mind I was not even informed till I was invoiced for it.....
>
>
>
>
>........................£21.95 +VAT
Heloman
Grafter

I usually use espares for things like that and have found them very reasonable. But when I checked on your knob ( the gas hob one of course!), I changed my mind:
http://www.espares.co.uk/parts/cookers-and-hobs/knobs/hotpoint/p/1599/808
Sad
Community Veteran

Yup! one of several similar sites where I can save a whole penny (1p) and these were not even a match.

Community Veteran

For a lot of spare parts I generally use ebay and the local rubbish dump.
Much cheaper.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: ZedinGrove
Couple years ago I had a Toshiba Laptop, purchased from PC World but got an extended warranty from Toshiba as PCW's was 3 times the price.
So anyway somehow a key from the keyboard just pinged off, and just would not go back on...
How many would think that if you have a warranty it covers everything, well it does but not the keyboard?
They were very nice though and let me have a new key for just couple of quid + delivery
Who wants to stab a guess at how much it cost to deliver, bearing in mind I was not even informed till I was invoiced for it.....
>
>
>
>
>........................£21.95 +VAT

You got had! I could have sent you a brand new ASDA £4 keyboard for just £18 Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
For a lot of spare parts I generally use ebay and the local rubbish dump.
Much cheaper.
I Thought it was illegal to take stuff that had been put in the councils rubbish dump ? I Recall a few people have been fined for doing so.
Odd really as it's just another form of recycling.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Many local 'dumps', like ours, have a recycling company on site who resell salvaged goods.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
zedingrove
Grafter

Hey Sprite your Sig surly it is supposed to be "Not Sure" rather than "Note Sure"?
Just wondering mate!!!