cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Day off

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Day off

It’s nice to have an extra bank holiday to celebrate the silver anniversary of the Queens reign.
But should it not be 2013, not 2012.
The Queen was crowned on June 2nd 1953, surely 60 years is June 2nd 2013.
Or am I misunderstanding something
7 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: Day off

The Queen began her reign 6th Feb 1952 when her father died.  It is one of the many important things that happened on that date including my birth [but not that year!].
Community Veteran

I think you have it there.  They are celebrating the year she came to the throne.  A remarkable lady and long may she reign Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@jmdlp thanks for that,
Couldn't understand what the Broadcaster was on about this morning, Bank holiday to be nearest to the 2nd June, Coronation Day
as Artmo said "A remarkable lady and long may she reign"
Community Veteran

Fully agree with you Artmo  Smiley
She is indeed a wonderful person, even if she has lived a life of luxury and privilege - I don't begrudge her any of it - she works much harder than many normal workers.
Much better than many other countries president's who have been a very very mixed bag.
The Queen will be a very difficult act to follow.
She came to the throne just a few days after my birth -
nadger
Rising Star

I was collecting engine numbers ( I was 12 at the time) when the royal train pulled out of the station after she was married in 1947 - didn't really mean a lot to me at that point in time  Smiley
I wonder how many 83 year olds work as hard as she does.
Community Veteran

Not quite the same - but I was allowed to go up to London to trainspot and watch Churchill's funeral train.
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
She came to the throne just a few days after my birth -

She came to the throne on the day I was supposed to be born, only I had mucked it up by arriving a month early. Or that's what my Mother always told me. I've always had a sneaking suspicion that she was a bit embarrassed by the idea that I was conceived either on or very soon after their wedding night! How times change.
Having gained a month before I started, I usually claim that as my excuse for having been late for everything else ever since.