Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

David Bellamy

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

David Bellamy

So sad to read that this fine man has passed away, but at the grand age of 86 we must admit that's not a bad run for a someone that must have walked more miles that most in his life.

A little anecdote - he tapped on the door of my daughter about ten years back when out on one of his lone countryside rambles in rural Wales. She had a place out on the edge of Lampeter at the time that he mistook for a bed and breakfast and recalls how he stayed for a cup of tea anyway and what delightful company he was.

I know she was tickled pink to have met him like that, so feet up and rest well sir.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: David Bellamy

At least he was a 'proper' environmental campaigner who had his heart in it did the hard work.  Not one of the latest clutch of so called environmentalists who live in nice warm homes with a fat salary, shop at Waitrose or M&S and only pop out occasionally to go to demonstrations for an hour or two of virtue signalling and then back home for an organic cup of tea.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Very true and add to that like my next door 'big poster save the planet in the window' virtue signalling vegetarian neighbour who runs three vehicles in a household of just two.  Two cars and a diesel coughing mobile home.

Oh yes, and they drink organic tea!

Now here's the thing while on the subject...  invited for an evening meal the other day to be introduced to some new friends of theirs and the meal without a by your leave was entirely vegetarian. What's all that about?

I would no more presume with a dinner guest that they eat only meat than I would vegetarian presume everbody eats just  carrots and cabbages and if unsure, I would ask their preference. We ate the meal anyway but did not enjoy it though.

Grrr.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

We were on a carpark overlooking the sea in Cornwall last year and there was a big white van with stickers on it 'surfers against sewage'  - 'no more plastic waste' and that kind of thing over it  with rubbish piled up on the dashboard ( obviously a 'doss' van for sleeping in while surfing). The driver opened the front doors and the wind blew out quite a few plastic bags and  plastic water / soda bottles onto the carpark. Now due to the stickers on his van I would have thought he would try to retrieve as many as possible before they blew into the sea, but he just closed the door.... I went and caught some of them and put them in the bin - and I did not have a single environmental sticker on our car !