cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

David Beckham confirms there's one law for the rich...

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

David Beckham confirms there's one law for the rich...

David Beckham had admitted breaking a 40mph speed limit in Paddington, London whilst doing 59mph. but employing a lawyer known as Mr Loophole he got off on a technically.

Beckham's lawyer originally argued there was not enough evidence to bring a prosecution but the District Judge rejected that plea and that's when the technical aspect of the 'intended prosecution' letter arriving one day late was raised.

Why didn't the extremely rich multi-millionaire just cough up the fine and move on?

At the hearing Beckham's lawyer admitted his client had received a notice of intended prosecution for a separate driving offence allegedly committed just days before, in the same vehicle.

Colette Hollies, a legal assistant at Bentley said: ‘I did recognise the number plate on that notice because we had one the previous week for the same vehicle.

‘I was aware that it was the same driver.’

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Fixes: 876

Re: David Beckham confirms there's one law for the rich...

the same law applies, you need to receive a notice of intended prosecution with 14 days - if you don't you too can contest it.
Same law for everyone.

I also suspect it's less about the money than the points.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

Understand the law but would the normal punter have been able to afford to call representatives of Bentley as witnesses' and investigate the process used in sending out notices?

Apparently earlier in the year Beckham had been caught speeding in another vehicle.

He can clearly afford to play the system, on a day there are reports of those on low income are not able to afford justice because they are refused legal aid.  

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I believe that in at least one reported case, of similar circumstances the driver was told it was the date on the letter of intended prosecution, not the date it was delivered...

Uhmm!!

As I understand it, without Mr Loophole Beckham would more than likely have had to surrender his licence, since it would not be the first time he has be caught for speeding and accumulated rather a lot of points on it already.  

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 1

Actually you take the view that without Becks or people like him who can afford to challenge this, many more could be wrongly prosecuted and fined.

If it highlights the error of the system so much the better.

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

What error?

The letter notifying of prosecution was said to have been posted on Fri 2 Feb, be it 1st or 2nd you would expect it to arrive by prior to 7 Feb, The evidence that got him off was that it was stamped as being received on 7 Feb.

As indicated by someone else, the norm is based on the day the letter was sent....look how often someone will claim they never received a legal letter.

What this case highlights is David Beckham hasn't learnt from previous speeding incidents and instead has learn that money buys his way out of trouble, he must have spent a fortune on his lawyer rather than, by his standards, pay a paltry fine.

All he has done is open another way for people to break the law and get away with it, by stamping a letter with a date more than 14 days after the speeding incident.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

You ignore the facts again. As has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread if DB had simply paid the fine he would have got points on his licence. This could have caused him problems especially if he already had some points.

What his lawyer has done for him could have been done by any driver. All the information is available online if you are prepared to look for it. There are websites to guide drivers in cases like this.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Beckham, and his ilk, with "high status" and money, flaunt it as much as they can, to ..... Boost their own ego, and also to keep in the "public eye"..

It matters not to him, that he was "caught speeding".... he well knows that it will generate news coverage, which, to him is priceless free self promoting publicity.

Yes, He could have paid the fine, like "tipping" the same amount at a restaurant, but... that would have been "missed" of "forgotten" by the press. and thus he would lose out on the free publicity.

He probably pays a "retainer" to the legal company of the lawyer, so that when such cases of "indiscretion" ( ? ? ? ? ) come to light, the press and tv are notified in advance, so that they can provide suitable coverage in their media.

High Status personages, often use this "ploy" when it is to their advantage...

As for "you and me"... we just have to pay up, because we don`t want the hassle that goes with it .

Hassle to " High Status, "  Beckham types, is the filling of their pie of life.... to be enjoyed as much as possible for as long as possible.

Highlighted
Fixes: 415

Quite a list of well known names as clients this Mr Freeman has accumulated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Freeman

Isn't this the guy who has assisted with parking offences where there is a couple of mm gap in the double yellow lines rendering them null and void.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Strat thanks for the link. Interesting information. Yes you are right about him using technicalities such as the gaps in yellow lines to clear his clients.

I read some time ago that his practice does some pro bono work involving motoring cases so he does try to help the less well off. I assume his book would also help individuals conduct their own defence.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@christmas wrote:

What error?

The letter notifying of prosecution was said to have been posted on Fri 2 Feb, be it 1st or 2nd you would expect it to arrive by prior to 7 Feb, The evidence that got him off was that it was stamped as being received on 7 Feb.

As indicated by someone else, the norm is based on the day the letter was sent....look how often someone will claim they never received a legal letter.

All he has done is open another way for people to break the law and get away with it, by stamping a letter with a date more than 14 days after the speeding incident.

Interesting that it was stamped as being received on 7 Feb.

Do letters of this nature require the signature of the person whom the letter is addressed to ?

If yes then either the date it was posted on was incorrect or the post office has clearly failed in their duty to deliver the letter in the agreed time.

If on the other a signature was not required or it was in order for someone else to sign then a copy of their signature would be with the post office along with the date ?

If a signature was not required then the whole system is open to abuse.

Whilst legally he has won this case he has generated much bad publicity, might have been wiser to pay.....even with a ban he could easily afford to pay a driver for the period of the ban.

Shooting oneself in the foot comes to mind.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

Whilst legally he has won this case he has generated much bad publicity, might have been wiser to pay.....even with a ban he could easily afford to pay a driver for the period of the ban.

Shooting oneself in the foot comes to mind.

Er.... no...  Any publicity for a "high status" personna, such as Beckham. is good publicity, as, previously mentioned... it keeps them "in the public eye".... ipso facto... the discussion on this forum... 

if he had paid the fine, we would be posting on the "don`t feed the ducks" thread instead.. and NOT talking about Beckham..

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

@shutter wrote:

Er.... no...  Any publicity for a "high status" personna, such as Beckham. is good publicity,....

Er....no...it's the last sort of publicity a "high status" persona wants, I was surprised at how tabloid press had turned against him. This sort of publicity may be useful for a "c" or "z" lister with no career or talent clawing their way up the celeb ladder.

Cliff Richard would not agree all publicity is good publicity.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Cliff Richard did not do too badly from all that publicity ..... his name and his muscal career were highlighted ... so even if it was "bad" publicity.... it was also "good" publicity.

As for Beckham.... he knows, only too well, that his "image" as a good looking "bad boy"... is also being brought into the "limelight"... as I said before..... here we all are.... talking about him.... and that is , as far as he is concerned.... good publicity, as it is keeping him "in the news" . 

Not sure where/what "talent" he has... apart from making money out of his looks and his name.  Don`t tell me "football" is talent... it`s only a game...

Next you will be telling me, that because I am good at snakes and ladders, I should also be in the "high status" of talented people in the `A` List, alongside the likes of his ilk.

Talent ?  Pah !.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 1

In my very humble opinion - when someone like Becks get in the newspapers because he has a new haircut I can't for the life of me see why he would want to be in the news for dodging a parking/speeding fine.