cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dave Lee Travis - Guilty of one charge - but what a waste of money in my opinion

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Dave Lee Travis - Guilty of one charge - but what a waste of money in my opinion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29331740
He has been found guilty of indecently assaulting a young woman, who worked on the BBC's comedy chat show the Mrs Merton Show, on 17 January 1995.
Prosecutors said Mr Travis - who had been a guest on the show - approached the woman, who was smoking in a corridor, and put his hands on her chest for about 10 to 15 seconds.
85 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Dave Lee Travis - Guilty of one charge - but what a waste of money in my opinion

yeah it was a complete waste of time and money, when his original trial collapsed with the jury unable to reach a verdict they should of stopped there this smacked of a sour grapes prosecution, if he left people feeling so degraded at the time why did it take them so many years to come forwards, its almost as if the Savile enquiry caused a ruckus so everyone with a tenuous claim wanted a chance at the limelight and if that hadn't happened then nobody would of even bothered about some lecherous old geezer who was a bit handsy as it was just something that happened if you weren't careful.....
what I really detested seeing hate nowadays though is this supposition that a woman cant give consent if she is drunk, there have been time in the past when most of us will of been plastered and done something that we regret in the morning (in my youth we had a grading system for the hummers the worst being chew your own arm to get away when you wake up and realise what's happened) but I certainly wouldn't say that just cos she wasn't pretty made it rape .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Dave Lee Travis - Guilty of one charge - but what a waste of money in my opinion

Fully agree a total waste of money however it does put prosecutors in a difficult position if one or more people claim they have been abused in some way by someone.
If they do not go ahead with the prosecution they are open to criticism and if they go ahead and get a no guilty verdict they are still open to criticism.
In this specific case it might have been wiser  following the previous not guilty verdict to allow the remaining charges, "on file"
The problem in many of these cases is the lack of solid evidence so a person might be guilty but if there is any doubt they must be found not guilty
myredhotcar
Grafter

@ OP *devils advocate alert* What's your point; that we should be able to freely grope females? Where do you draw the line in the sand before a prosecution is warranted? Hand on the groin? Actual penetration?
Community Veteran

Not at all
But if he hadn't been a celebrity just a bloke in the office would they even have investigated it
My point isn't that men should be free to grope women (and vice versa - or is a woman groping a man acceptable) but that the time and effort would have been much better spent with more serious cases
One has the impression that having failed on al the more serious charges they were determined to get him on something
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

The Hairy Cornflake may be eating Porridge soon !
At least he'll probably get a Radio to listen to...
Community Veteran

Don't be silly - there is no way he should be given a custodial sentence for the crime he has been found guilty of
If in fact he does there is something seriously wrong with the justice system in this country
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Doubtful...... Suspended prison sentence at the most !
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Perhaps the judge will take into account the fact that the woman involved has used the incident in her stand up routine since at least 2007?
Should someone grope another person? - No.  Should the punishment take account of the effect of the incident? - Yes
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, I agree with your comment. It doesn't warrant anything else. I think there is a need to look at the way the CPS have handled these prosecutions. Maybe the new head will deal with this.
myredhotcar
Grafter

@ OJ: I agree that resources should be prioritised but it must be difficult for the CPS deciding which cases should be pursued. If he had admitted the lesser charge from day one the CPS may well have dropped the other cases though. The judge will take his dishonesty into account at sentencing and also his lack of remorse (you can't be remorseful for a crime you deny). If he shows remorse now he has been found guilty it doesn't have the same mitigating effect. He has, after all, cost the taxpayer money through his dishonesty.
Fine, community service and costs. Maybe a suspended sentence.
Of course, the remorse thing can cause major issues if you are a victim of a miscarriage of justice as remorse is often a prerequisite for early parole.
Community Veteran

He wasn't actually charged with the one he was found guilty of at the original trial - it was a new one the CPS brought in
myredhotcar
Grafter

This is where I am confused: so he was charged with 14 counts, found not guilty of 12 but the jury failed to reach a verdict on the remaining 2 charges. The CPS wanted a retrial on the 2 (which is what I thought this case was about). According to Wikipedia a further charge was added to the 2.
So he was found not guilty of the 2 original charges but guilty of the new charge?
Maybe the Wiki article could do with tidying up.
Community Veteran

It is covered in the original link - near the bottom
myredhotcar
Grafter

That makes more sense now. I haven't followed the case closely but have been reading the wiki article occasionally which, to be fair, mentioned a boxing career and his being a "regular drag queen" in certain edits.