Data Thieves and that includes hairdressers

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Data Thieves and that includes hairdressers

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="This is Money."]
RACHEL RICKARD STRAUS: We must fight back against the data thieves… and that includes my hairdresser
Name and phone number: surely that’s all that a hair salon needs to book in a haircut. They need to know who’s going to show up and to be able to contact the customer if they need to cancel.
But when I phoned up to book an appointment a couple weeks ago, I was asked for my name, number, email address – I declined, my postal address – I said I didn’t have one – after which they probably cottoned on that I was hard work and stopped asking for information.
I asked the receptionist why they required all this information anyway. She said: ‘So we can send you details of special offers and events’.
But I did not want details of special offers and events. I just wanted a haircut. When you fill out a form asking for your personal information, there’s generally a box that you can tick to say you agree – or don’t agree - to receive promotional material. Over the phone it seems I was given no choice.
Read More Here

Oh what a shock not!
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Data Thieves and that includes hairdressers

I am quite happy to hand out an email address
It will of course be a unique one which will rapidly be blackholed if needed
TORPC
Grafter

When any company asks me these type of questions
I tell them I do not give them details to all & sundry & will only where applicable give my name & phone number
Lately
I have started asking
How secure are your systems (I mean what Antivirus / Firewall / security protocols etc do you have in place to make sure the data I pass to you is kept safe from hackers) can I have permission to Pentest your security
I can visualise how beetroot red in the face they get as they typically can not answer & say I'll have to ask the IT department, before the receiver goes down on their end Tongue
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It would be a lot easier if people agreed to be "chipped" like dogs. Banks could then do away with the need for credit cards. The retailer would simply scan the scruff of your neck to obtain name, address and credit card number.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 125

If I need to give a number I usually give my landline in part because the signal for the mobile is so poor at home but mainly because I don't wanted to be pestered when out and about. The mobile phone is for my convenience  Wink
You can sense the disbelief when I say I don't have a mobile.
Often they also don't seem to understand or like it when I give email as 'theircompanyname@mydomain.co.uk'

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
It would be a lot easier if people agreed to be "chipped" like dogs. Banks could then do away with the need for credit cards. The retailer would simply scan the scruff of your neck to obtain name, address and credit card number.

What if the person, that was scanning your scruff, was contagious with some medical issue, that they did not know was contagious or just picked up from the person / people in front of you,  & or yet could not afford to take time off to go & pay the GP,s fees for diagnosis & treatment ?Huh