cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Protection act

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Data Protection act

So how can a firm or government department sell or pass on private data to other people such as our names, address and other information without our express permission ?

Is that not illegal under the act ?

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Data Protection act

Presumably because at some time you will have given your permission for them to do that (please tick (or leave blank) the box if you do not want us to pass on your personal details to carefully selected third parties). In the case of the government, that info is considered to be within the same organisation so technically not sharing details with "other people".

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It's illegal when the government want it to be and it makes them look good.

At all other times they don't give a ****.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/

In essence, no they shouldn't unless you've given permission and they are based in the UK.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

nozzer wrote:

Presumably because at some time you will have given your permission for them to do that (please tick (or leave blank) the box if you do not want us to pass on your personal details to carefully selected third parties). In the case of the government, that info is considered to be within the same organisation so technically not sharing details with "other people".

Is the DVLA not part of the government ? As I understand it they pass information to private firms.

What about the electorial register, which anyone can access ? Yes you can opt for the restricted electorial register which gives a degree of privacy to your details but not everyone is aware of it.

Community Veteran

A company may say they were given permission but the person concerned will probably also say no I never gave my express permission.

Meaning clear permission was never directly asked.

A tick box empty or otherwise here or there is a bit vague at best.

A bit like a certain other site saying "may be an offence" instead of a plain statement of "this would be illegal".

wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

gleneagles wrote:

Is the DVLA not part of the government ? As I understand it they pass information to private firms.

Chapter and verse on DVLA

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/433570/INF266_210515.pdf

Fixes: 125

I thought UK companies had to leave any opt in/out boxes blank or unticked meaning you have to actually select it to opt in but I still come across quite a few that automatically have these options selected.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@gleneagles  There can be no excuse for not being aware of the option to opt out of the open register; we are made aware of it in writing every August/September.  (If you are in Scotland you may have a different system.)

Re. government departments sharing information:  I seem to remember that when the Community Charge was in operation, councils were not allowed to cross reference their Community Charge information against the electoral roll despite holding both sets of data.

Minivanman
Hero

Why not the option to 'opt in' rather than the obligation to 'opt out' @Jonpe?

They'll be taken our organs after death next unless we tell them not to. Oh hang on, here in Wales they already do! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

@Jonpe you are right, every year we are reminded of the choice we have in respect of the electoral register.

Minivanman
Hero

Otherwise known as 'Hobson's Choice' which of course is take it or leave it.

Now the option to be able to vote for RON would put that cat amongst those pigeons! Grin

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

I remember trying to get something or apply for something (can't remember what) and was turned down simply because, as I was told, my details couldn't be confirmed by the electoral register. I've always opted out of the open to all register as I feel I already get enough junk coming my way.

As I said at the time it's your loss being that inflexible.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Credit reference agencies can still verify your address if you've opted out of the open register, and you can also be called for jury service (unless you've ticked the box to say you are over 70).

Minivanman
Hero

I think you will find that it was raised to 75 @Jonpe although why there should be an upper age limit is a puzzle as I'm sure many 80 year olds have got more sense than one who is only 18. 

Blimey, you can run the country and/or be an MP well into your dotage, but you cannot serve on a jury. At the last count there were four octogenarians and 18 septuagenarians on expenses and keeping those seats warm.

Tick boxes? Many of 'em belong in one. It's outrageous! Smiley