cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Charges, mobile networks (Orange)

Community Veteran

Data Charges, mobile networks (Orange)

I can only speak about Orange with this one.
I would like to use mobile broadband but I don't need nor want a dongle as I have a perfectly good 3G phone which does exactly the same thing. Looking at the Orange website I could add 30Mb (which would be no use to man nor beast) to my account for £8 a month. If I had a mobile broadband account with a dongle I could add 3Gb for £8.57/month! That makes data on a phone account about 100 times more expensive when it is exactly the same thing. The guy at Orange had no answer to this, does anyone else?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Data Charges, mobile networks (Orange)

Vodafone is getting their act together on this, it means I have my laptop use a Bluetooth connection to my W890i when I want to do e-mail, etc. rather than plug a dongle into it.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
itsme
Grafter

With O2 on a monthy phone contract it's
Pay Monthly customers
Browsing costs no more than £1 per day. You will be charged £3 per MB up to a maximum of £1 per day with O2 Web Daily. If you intend on using a lot of data we recommend you take the Unlimited Web Bolt On for £7.50 per month.

Their data packs for Mobile Internet are more expensive at £14.69 for 3GB but these do come with unlimited WiFi.
Don't know whether the T&C's for the £1 per day exclude the use of the phone as a modem.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

Vodafone do a £7.50/mnth 'unlimited' bolt on. It's not really unlimited but the fair usage policy is a reasonably hefty 500MB/mnth - I'm not 100% sure what happens if you exceed that amount though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

O2 offer the same thing for the same price. However, there's no set allowance; rather, they just say you can't use it 'in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers'. On the other hand, I've heard that they're rather lenient - I get the impression that they're happy with pretty much anything provided you're not doing forbidden activities, which are streaming or using P2P.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Yep I'm with O2.  Not tied connecting my laptop to my phone yet, but I managed to use just over 700Mb the other month just on the phone with the "Unlimited" bolt on (I get it free as my choice of bolt on on a £35 a month contract).  I've not been contacted or restricted in anyway.  I just noticed it on my invoice.  I don't normally use anything like that, so they might have something to say if I did it every month.  Might be worth a call to them though.
Phil
StickyMick
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Vodafone do a £7.50/mnth 'unlimited' bolt on. It's not really unlimited but the fair usage policy is a reasonably hefty 500MB/mnth - I'm not 100% sure what happens if you exceed that amount though.

I believe they're quite lenient on their going over the limit policy. But if you add the browsing bundle to your contract it costs £5pm for the life of your price plan. If you use the flexi-pack option (you can cancel it at anytime) it's £7.50pm. These two both have the 500mb usage limit.
For PAYG it's 50p per day with a limit of 25mb per day.