Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dashcams.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Dashcams.

This might not be the right forum on which to ask this, but how long is the recording time on these things, or is it on some kind of loop. Presumably if you have something to transfer or upload you do not have to disconnect the entire device, or do you.

With some of the tricks we see other drivers get up to I'd love to share, but would feel rather uncomfortable with snitching to the police.... or not, as the last time I looked we were not living in the equivalent of East Germany. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-37672104

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
12 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 165

Re: Dashcams.

I was looking in to getting one a few months ago but haven't got round to it yet. My understanding is it somewhat varies from device to device.

Minivanman wrote:

how long is the recording time on these things

Depends on the size of the SD card you put in it and what quality of recording you're using.

Minivanman wrote:

is it on some kind of loop.

I think most loop, with an ability to press a button (Or triggered by an impact) to lock a section of the recording if it needs to be stored/saved for whatever reason.

Minivanman wrote:

Presumably if you have something to transfer or upload you do not have to disconnect the entire device, or do you.

I'm sure I've seen some that you can connect to via bluetooth/wifi from your phone and play the recordings back/save them via an app on your smart phone. Alternatively with most, I believe you can just remove the memory card and use a card reader to transfer the files on to your computer.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I use a Transend dash camera, 2 hour loop recording to a memory card, always carry a spare card in case I need to keep details on the current one.

Personally I think they are an essential item, if you do much driving you see some people do stupid things, I would never shop someone to the police unless the situation involved me as in a accident, they would be excellent evidence in the case of a dispute regarding a accident.

Also makes you drive better as they will record a accident where you were at fault.

I think the police can insist on taking them as evidence at the scene of a accident.

There are some good youtube videos of some of the things recorded on dash cameras such a freak weather etc.

Fixes: 125

Recording time will be dependant on resolution and size of memory card.

My dashcam, if I recall, has the option to loop recording when all the memory is used or stop recording. Downloading to a laptop or PC is quite simple using a USB cable.

I wouldn't pass footage I had to police unless it could be used in evidence in a serious accident.

Edit: Looks like what I posted had already been covered by Harry and gleneagles.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

Interesting point about accidents as I seem to recall that at one time at least insurance companies would not accept them as evidence. Presumably if police are, then they must also.  

PS. Just a thought, the dashcam could show that you yourself were at fault!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Have a look on Techmoan's channel on Youtube, he's reviewed a number of dashcams over the years, most of which operate the same way, looped recordings with an "emergency" button (as in, saves the clip in a separate folder), it just varies as to the quality of the picture:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB79814F24001328

Minivanman
Hero

Cheers 

Also been looking at this.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/gadget/best-dash-cams-in-uk-2016-3647105/

There's been a couple of threads which you may find helpful/interesting:

Dashcam

Dash Cam

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

Interesting point about accidents as I seem to recall that at one time at least insurance companies would not accept them as evidence. Presumably if police are, then they must also.  

PS. Just a thought, the dashcam could show that you yourself were at fault!

Each to their own really isn't it. There is no rule that they must or must not accept it.. but some insurers may have been skeptical of it's legality as evidence previously but now they're so common place that I would imagine it would be hard to find an insurer who wouldn't want footage if available.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Some insurers do offer reduced premiums if you declare you have a dashcam.

Not sure how they could verify that except by making your cover null and void if you can't produce any footage in the event of a claim.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Mine is supposed to loop, but it just stops saying disk full.
I have a 16Gb Sd in it, so many many hours of recording.
I tend to re-format when I get the error message.

As to insurer's I had to declare it on my "mod your car" section. It doubles as my reversing camera, using a strap on mirror (larger than the original) it displays in a 4" lcd on the LHS, when off you can use the mirror normally.
Passed its mot with it fitted on Monday so no issues there.
Community Veteran

One thing to keep in mind when buying a dashcam is the length of the power lead, most just plug into the cigarette lighter socket but you want a lead long enough to hide in the windscreen trim.

Sure you can buy a longer lead but that's just more expense.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

What I did was add a twin usb socket fed from the fuse box, cut a small hole near the overhead light, fed 12V switched from the fuse box up the pillar, and I got a short usb right angled cable to fit it. Result is no messy wires.
I removed the light so I could see the wires and feed them through. (refitted after)

You can use one of the cigar lighter types from £shop just remove the shell and connect the wires, making sure to insulate it up. All that shows is the head end. About 1cm's wort.