Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dashcam

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Re: Dashcam

That's what buyer protection is for. Ebay will pull it if it is a scam had it done on something I "won" before.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes but it's a pain waiting weeks for things to get sorted and your money back.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Leapy - Please tell me you’re not serious about buying this are you? Remember the old adage, “If it’s too good be true, then it probably isn’t”. OK at that price it may well be worth a pop but if I were scamming people that’s exactly what I’d hope they’d say.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd be less worried about it being a scam and more worried about it just being a cheap POS from China that burns my car down when wired up.

Which is basically what eBay has become. Either people in the West importing pallet loads of cheap Chinese [-Censored-]. Or the same makers of the cheap Chinese [-Censored-] opening a store to sell to people who don't feel confident buying from Alibaba or Aliexpress.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Personally having ordered many items from China, I have only had ONE actually blow up. A 5V psu that had wiring issues inside. Took out my 30A trip with a flash. Got a refund on it.
I had a dashcam that lasted a MINUTE then displayed junk. Got a refund on it, opened it up and found a loose cap, re-soldered it and used it for about a year when it decided to die on me.
I find that I can buy something from China far far cheaper than I can purchase just the parts now, so rarely build anything any more.
My usb adaptor (hidden inside the roof lining) is protected by a 1A fuse in the fuse box. The plug in type SHOULD have a fuse in the tip as well.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I use a Transend dash cam had it for a while now and no problems with it, has wifi so can make changes to the menu on my tablet and being wifi the date and time are correct when turning it on.

One slight pain was the various connectors I tried prevented my sat nav from working as the same time as the camera so I wired it in using one of those piggy back fuse connectors from ebay, works a treat and only takes a few minutes to do.

I don't bother using any suction device for the camera just a 15mm pipe connector that allows 2 pipes to be connected at any angle, one holds the dash cam stem and the other is connected to the mirror stem.

Heath Robinson has nothing on me..

Wink

Highlighted
Grafter

You're entitled to film in public the law permits this. I don't see how they would be able to ban the use of them. The only situation where law enforcement could reasonably argue against their use or fine you for using them would be if you were fiddling with them while you were driving which is pretty unlikely for a dashcam there would be no reason why you would need to. Who you share your footage with is your business whether you choose to or not, whether you post it to social media or not.

I'm not a fan of CCTV or even being filmed or having my photo taken but if they wanted to ban dashcams then they would then have to also ban every other camera used in public too including those used by the police, CCTV, and speed cameras. When the State is the only entity allowed to do things that are otherwise lawful then we truly are in a Police state, especially when those things are evidence of a police state themselves.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Just to let you know the £7.99 dash-cam was a dash-scam Shocked and it has been pulled from Ebay.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

No surprises there @Leapy.

Highlighted
Fixes: 460

I finally got around to fitting my Nextbase dashcam in my Ford Focus.

The biggest problem I had was finding an earth connection and ended up removing the glove box behind which I found a suitable fastening.

The glove box was replaced 5 time until I had it seated and positioned correctly.

One job left for later is repositioning the fuse box under the dashboard on the passenger side where I tapped off the 12 volts.

It's very awkward to get too and once it's lifted out of its rear mounts for easier access, a pig to replace correctly.

Halfords charge about £30 for fitting and in my experience it would be worthwhile to save the hassle.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Strat

Would a piggyback fuse connector save you some time, used one when fitting my dash cam which made the job easy.

Highlighted

@gleneagles I used a piggyback connector for the live very successfully but the problem was finding a point for the neutral/earth.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Finding a earth point in modern cars can be a hassel as there is so much plastic about, I found a screw that attached some plastic component to the main body, soldered a flat electrical connector to the earth wire and then placed it behind the screw.

I guess there is a correct name to the connector which looks like a washer but also has a part where a wire can be soldered in.

Highlighted

I bought this Dash Cam hard wire kit for my NextBase. It made the job a little bit easier.

When I removed the glove box I discovered a metal framework which included the radio and instrument cluster mountings.

There was one easily accessible bolt which I loosened and slipped the spade fork connector behind to make the earth connection.

Job done.

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 12

@gleneagles wrote:

I guess there is a correct name to the connector which looks like a washer but also has a part where a wire can be soldered in.

Ring terminals