Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dashcam

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Dashcam

I've just seen that Lidl are going to do one next week and that may do me as "My first dashcam" https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=4780

That said I just saw @HairyMcbiker and it looks like £23.74 for this maybe worth considering. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-4-3-HD-Car-DVR-Dual-Lens-Rearview-Mirror-Video-Recroder-Camera-Dash-...

although I'm unsure if this one has a date and time stamp and if that is very important?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@AlaricAdair wrote:

Not to mention the Automobile Association, that staunch defender of motorists in the UK, is trying to ban the use of dashcams.

Reading through that article, you misinterpreted it, it's calling for a crackdown of the footage being shared on social media, not banning of the cameras themselves...

You use them as you would a CCTV camera, as a monitoring device that is used as evidence when it captures a crime being committed, it's not for use as a camcorder to make "hilarious car crashes" videos for youtube...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@Anonymous

"it'll save you a fortune in solicitors fees and all the hassles of going to court"

Fighting talk is that and never ever in over fifty years of driving (and yes, I've had a few bumps and 'issues') has it ever got to the stage of involving a solicitor let alone hassles of any court and neither has anybody I know of. Perhaps I have lived in a bubble or maybe we have all become more litigious but it's a sad world to be sure when we spy on our fellow man and think nothing of it.

Maybe it's neither and we just want another gadget....... in which case count me in. Wink

PS. Do they go beep or have a flashing light? Well alright!

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman, probably a case of more litigious. I doubt crash for cash scams were much of a problem in your 50 years of driving as they are today. And the claims for whiplash and excessive over charges for non-existent damage to body panels when people get a shunt in a car park, et cetera. I'd rather have the camera so I can say to a judge "he's taking the mick", than not have one.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

@Leapy date& time stamps are good. All the dashcams I have seen have them, although you can disable the stamping.
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I may be wrong on this but if you disable the timestamping the footage is deemed inadmissible as the date and time constitutes part of the evidence. My camera, like most I assume, gets it's time from the satellites, so is very accurate.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Anonymous Nope unless they are also sat nav's. All the ones I have used have had manual date input.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Having been through a number of dashcams from the dirt cheap rubbish to really quite expensive, I now have a NextBase 312 (bought from shusshhh!! Halfords) and very good it is too. has automatic satellite date stamp.

One of the popular misconceptions is that insurance companies will smile on your premiums if you have one in use. Mine, LV, doesn't. Having a check round of a few others, I was unable to find one who did. LV wouldn't definitely commit themselves to using dashcam footage even if you supplied it.

If you have a car that has interior activated movement alarm beware. In extremes of temperature change overnight can make the windscreen sucker break loose. I've had the alarm go off twice at 2am because the dashcam or satnav had fallen off the screen and activated the alarm. At the time I couldn't find anything or anybody tampering with the car, it wasn't till the following morning I found the dashcam on the car floor.

I now deactivate the interior alarm when parking at night.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

I thought that was pretty funny ..... how dumb was he to try and pull that trick lol

Highlighted
Fixes: 414

Certainly not a product of RADACheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Cameras and cars not really a new thing. I have carried a cheap film camera slung in my glove pocket for many decades (before all these camera phone thingys)..

Handy for the odd bump but only had one attempted scam in a car park.

Went back to my parked car and the driver parked next to me started raving that I had dented his car. Apparently my passenger door had swung open and dented his door. Except it hadn't as the dent was more than six inches out from where it should have been. So I whipped out my old camera took a picture with my door open showing the dent as well then turned and took a mug shot of the driver. His last words were "quick kids get in the car" before he quickly drove off.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Back to one of my old gripes as to why spaces are so narrow - especially for two doors like our Fiesta. Not a big car by any means but it can be a real pain squeezing in and out of it at times.

I also had a guy ranting at me for 'touching' his big fat lump of a car when trying to get back in despite the fact that he had parked next to mine. Easier now to park up further away if I can rather than trying like so many to squash in nearer to a supermarket entrance for example.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Is this too cheap at £7.99?

Product Details
The Ivation dash cam captures Full HD video of your drive and records GPS data with your footage. Its superior optics include a 140°wide angle 5G lens, and WDR and HDR functions, to provide clear, detailed images even in low light conditions. Advanced safety alerts for speed cam detection, lane departure, forward collision, and more.

• GPS data recording
• Auto ON when vehicle starts
• Automatic continuous loop recording
• Time/date stamp
• Audio recording
• 2.7" 16:9 LCD touchscreen
• 140° wide angle, 5G lens with IR filter
• Video resolution: Full HD: 1920x1080 @30fps, HD: 1280 x 720 @60fps
• Ultra-clear WDR and HDR images
• Motion detection
• G-Sensor incident detection
• Emergency recording overwrite protection
• Records to Micro SD Card (not included) Upto 32G
• Still photo function
• Microphone and speaker
• Auto and manual On/Off
• Interface: Mini USB, Mini C Type HDMI
• Battery: Built-in 470mAH Li-polymer rechargeable
• Dimensions: 3.15" x 1.2" x 2.05" (80 x 30.4 x 52mm)
• Weight: Approx. 3oz. (85g)

Box Contents:
Dash cam recorder
Mounting bracket
Car adapter (10ft)
CD-Rom (user guide)
Quick Start Guide

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ivation-Dash-Cam-G18-1080p-HD-Video-GPS-Recorder-with-Mounting-Bracket/152...

Highlighted
Community Veteran

would certainly do the trick, dirt cheap as well.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yes too cheap no history as a seller so don't expect to get it.