cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dashcam.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Dashcam.

I seen to recall people talking about dashcams, and saw this so have ordered one. At this price it's a steal. Though I doubt it's going to be great quality.
<a href="http://www.wowcher.co.uk/deals/national-deal/deal-347247-detail/16-99-instead-99-99-eglobal-shoppers-car-accident/deal.html?ito=wowcher_email_SHARE_SHARE_347247">http://www.wowcher.co.uk/deals/national-deal/deal-347247-detail/16-99-instead-99-99-eglobal-shoppers-car-accident/deal.html?ito=wowcher_email_SHARE_SHARE_347247</a>

27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Dashcam.

Its not. In the last discussion on dashcams in this forum I pointed out this device has several entries under different names in Amazons listings.
I also pointed out basically you get what you pay for, in this case not much. the one I purchased arrived from China with a broken screen, liberally covered in scratches and finger-prints, very obviously a recycled returned product.
Worse, the data card would flip out of its housing every time the car went over a bump, eventually popping out with such force it flew out of the car never to be seen again.
The instructions are (were if they've been upgraded) an indecipherable translation from Chinese.
It was quickly consigned to the bin.
In its favour (yes it had one!!) of all those I tried it had the narrowest field of view, so that vehicles in front pretty well filled the screen, unlike most others I've tried..
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
itsme
Grafter

Why have dashcams?
Can you take them to the police station so that drivers that are going through traffic lights late can be prosecuted? If so I be going every day as drivers seem to think they can go through lights when amber.
Community Veteran

Dashcam - original
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Why have dashcams?
Can you take them to the police station so that drivers that are going through traffic lights late can be prosecuted? If so I be going every day as drivers seem to think they can go through lights when amber.

Some insurers are now starting to accept the footage from them as part of the claims process.
Would have been helpful for me a few years back when I had to do an emergency stop in the middle of a large roundabout due to an old granny blocking the road.  Someone then went into the back of me; but it would have been good to have got the details of the car responsible for the whole incident as she then just drove off without a care in the world!
itsme
Grafter

So will the insurance company take the footage as proof of liability? The only time I claimed on my insurance 35 years ago I was not happy that I had to chase the other party for my access as proof of their liability. I thought I paid the insurance company to do that.
gswindale
Grafter

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

After a number of false starts with cheapo dashcams, I eventually purchased a Cobra 820E, a bit more expensive,but it sits quietly on the windscreen just getting on with its job, after a few weeks of getting the settings right and checking the data card, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't necessary to check it so often, so I only do so every two or three weeks or so, as long as the last couple of journeys are timed and dated I conclude all is Ok.
Thus far, I haven't needed it for any accident or insurance purposes, although it has recorded some pretty dreadful driving by others and some cyclists.
Another member, on my recommendation purchased one of these and had nothing but trouble with it. That was not my experience at all.
The instructions, being an American device are in comprehensible English.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

The Police use them regularly. In the US most police cars have them fitted. Sometimes they catch the Police out when they overstep the line Wink
Community Veteran

they provide hours and hours of entertainment on youtube.
Fixes: 121

Especially the Russian one Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

Interestingly (or not as the case may be) I was watching a program this afternoon which included dashcam footage of the descending meteorite over the Ukraine.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 121

Check out the Ninja cyclist at around 1:35 Grin Grin

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: doris
At this price it's a steal.

£99.99 full priceHuh? Total ripoff, seeing as DX.com (based in the country they're made) sells them full price for £17.10:
http://www.dx.com/p/portworld-hd-201-2-5-tft-3-2mp-wide-angle-car-recorder-w-6-ir-led-night-vision-b...
Community Veteran

Full spec on that site, sounds even better value (at £22, in postage - though still more expensive than DX site). Thanks for link.  Wink