cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dashcam installation

Fixes: 121

Dashcam installation

Collected the NextBase 402g from Halfords earlier. Everything appears to be in the box. Will set it up in a few days.
It comes with 4.5M of USB cable connected directly to the cigarette lighter. As I've already bought a dual-USB connector similar to this:I thought I get a 5M USB to Micro USB cable.
My main question is how do people fix the cable in the car on a permanent basis from the camera which will likely be between the mirror and the windscreen with the cable following a route along the top edge of the windscreen as below (except in our case the socket is just behind the handbrake):
The instructions suggest duct table but we think that will look unsightly.
Any ideas, please?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Dashcam installation

Dependant on the car. You can usually remove the trim round the A frame at the edge of the window. Feed the cable up that then along inside the roof lining. To get to the power you could go along the splash plate that runs along the door.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I installed a Dashcam, using basically the same routing.
Only difference is that I loop the cable over the sun visor mountings, with it down, then put the visor back into position, securing and hiding the cable.

The other option, is to mount it as you would a Satnav, low down on the windscreen, with a short cable between socket and Dashcam.
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

This is where I think manufacturers should be providing power sockets in better places. SatNavs have been around for ages now but you are still expected to have a thick trailing wire across the central dash covering radio and controls.
One guy on the Honda Civic forum has wired his dashcam into the auto dim mirror circuit so his wire is only a few inches and not a washing line round the windscreen.
Let's be careful out there !

Thanks for the advice. Fixing it lower may be a solution  I'll take a look at the weekend probably and see what will be the best option.
It's about time new cars were supplied with a few USB sockets - maybe some are Undecided

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Did this a few weeks ago and did not need to remove anything, used the route shown in the op diagram.
It was actually possible to push the cable behind the trim on top and side of the windscreen, the only point I could not hide was where the cable leaves the windscreen to the point it meets the door pillar.
Your biggest problem might be attaching the camera to the windscreen as the suction pad (at least on mine) was rubbish so I had to find an alternative method but that's another story.

I'm thinking getting this USB to Mini (not Micro as mentioned above).
There are cheaper and more expensive options but I thought this should suffice.
Also getting a 32GB MicroSD card so will get free delivery.

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

ONE THOUGHT...
The small stick-on cable clips you can buy, possibly the fold over metal types ?