cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dashcam captures car hogging middle lane

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Dashcam captures car hogging middle lane

That's not the title the BBC gave it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-34933347
If you watch the video it's absolutely clear that the inside lane was clear. I hope the car driver is prosecuted!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Dashcam captures car hogging middle lane

This version (also on bbc.co.uk/news..) : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-34933345 seems to tell the story with a slightly different emphasis and does mention: 'Footage shows Mr Stockdale stayed in the middle lane for some time, which motorists can be fined for, but he said he was about to move over when the lorry driver began to "intimidate" him.' This version makes: 'Police failed to attend call for three hours' part of the headline.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Regardless of  the editorial lorry drivers have no mandate to judge and punish other drivers. Perhaps the loss of the driver's HGV licence for a year will help to convince him/her not to indulge in fantasies of being Judge Dredd.
I must say though that since moving from London to Derbyshire a couple of years ago I felt for the first time the need to invest in my own dash camera. The local drivers are terrible and most days I get footage of people doing things which should see them having to resit their driving test.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Neither driver has any excuse.
Even if there was no offence in hogging the central lane just looking in his mirror would have shown that it would be polite to move over.
But his former job goes some way to explain the lack of giving way.
That said the lorry driver still needs to be hunted down and the book thrown at them. I understand the frustration and impatience but they went too far.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Can't watch it as I don't have flash installed.
But if the driver with the cam was in the middle lane on an EMPTY motorway then they should be charged as well.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

A few bits that make me suspicious of the story, he says "I honestly thought I was going to die," and "My life literally rushed before my eyes. Whilst that sounds dramatic, I can honestly say I have never felt fear like it. I began shaking uncontrollably.", but he still followed the lorry, and stayed close enough to it to be hit 2 more times after the initial shunt.  The other one is it says he "runs a dashcam company", makes it sound to me like he might be milking it a bit to get news coverage of his dashcam, so people think that they should get one.
Community Veteran

The big question (to me) is "Why didn't he just pull over when the truck was gaining on him?"
Lane 1 was clear!
It'll be a tad ironic if plod prosecutes him for lane hogging by using his own video as evidence!  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: NedLudd
The big question (to me) is "Why didn't he just pull over when the truck was gaining on him?"

Big question to me is why is he letting trucks gain on him in the first place? They were coming up behind fairly quickly, which suggests he was driving around 50mph or even less, and in the middle lane. Open road ahead, conditions seem good, no roadworks or restrictions, just put your foot down man. Personally I just can't envisage driving in such a way that I am passed by all the HGVs
Community Veteran

Quote from: NedLudd

Because he's a moron?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Which is worse?
Sitting in the middle lane like a numpty, or smashing an HGV into a car that could have spun out and crashed, killing the occupants?
Community Veteran

It looks to me like the car was deliberately putting itself in the way of danger to get footage that could be used to sell his webcams.
The lorry gained on the car very rapidly so once he got frustrated and used the outside lane to get past he should have got clear quickly. That he didn't says to me that the car speeded up to try to prevent the lorry moving back in.