cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dash Cams

All4One
Grafter

Dash Cams

Anyone have any recommendations or reviews?
I've had a lot of dumb drivers around me recently where I've slammed my brakes on or had to swerve and I'm slightly interested in picking one up, maybe within a price range of 20-60 quid.
!Cheers
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Dash Cams

I've seen a number of drivers using these cameras recently. Some even leave them on show and working when they are parked. This seems like an invitation to have your car broken into - unless the camera detects the thief Wink
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

I have been looking at these recently , i have been recommended this, by family members who have it
http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Novatek-Dashcamera-Recorder-G-sensor-Blue/dp/B00GNWO6S6/ref=sr_1_fk...
YouTube review :

Regards
Mike
Mike
Fixes: 47

Quote from: artmo
This seems like an invitation to have your car broken into

If the thief steals the camera he steals the evidence of his crime so I agree, it seems an odd thing to do.
I also have looked at dash cams but not arrived at any firm conclusions.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

You could try this one from Amazon at £17.50. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LEBEA0K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
Not the greatest, but I find it does the job reasonably well. Some of the customer reviews are not great, but maybe they're expecting too much at the price. other reviews think its great. Might let you try out dash cams to see whether you want to upgrade later to something better, or whether it just comes under the heading of Boyz Toyz.
@artmo, unless it has some kind of (bluetooth) remote recording, most (budget) dash cams record directly on to an in-situ data card, so if the camera is stolen so will be the evidence. A second camera in the rear of the saloon facing forward may be missed by a thief, then the miscreant may be recorded in the act.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Further to the dash cam in my previous post:
It wasn't supplied with any instructions, the seller did eventually supply them, but they were a translation from Chinese, not convinced they were particularly helpful in the end.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Well by pure coincidence I bought one of these very things on Sunday.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121426502344
and it was dispatched on Monday but as yet hasn't arrived (didn't expect it to have). I bought it based on this review:

Community Veteran

One of the problems with dash cams or sat nav's for that matter, is the leads hanging around the windscreen and over the car dash board which at best look untidy at worst can interfere with the other controls, not to mention that most cars are only supplied with one ciggy lighter port. Yes I know you can get twin (or even triple) adaptors, but these when used with extra devices tend to slip out of the port because of the extra weight of the plugs hanging out the back of them.

All4One
Grafter

That E-Prance one gets good youtube reviews too.
And you can always remove it, my car is generally either in a secured car park or on my driveway which is away from any main roads.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

On my birthday wishlist -  Transcend Drivepro 200; good reviews, but above the cost horizon for the OP's wishes at 75 squid.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Just seen this on KGB. Seems cheap particularly as postage is in the price.
Webcam
Community Veteran

@artmo and any others thinking about this one. Don't.
The same cam appears several times in Amazon listings (with a different view of it) I tried it, my experience was awful. It arrived liberally covered in scratches and a broken screen, obviously used before. But worse, every time the  car was driven over a bump the data card door would flip open and the card would fly out (it didn't lock in place on a push in to lock push again to unlock) the card was held in by the closed door which was ridiculously loose. resorted to wrapping elastic bands round it to keep it closed.
Then one day the card flipped out when the drivers door was open and "fired".at some speed out of the door never to be seen again (down an inconvenient drain.
I'd had it with that dash cam "ripped" it out and consigned it to the bin.
Oddly, of the few I've tried, it had the narrowest angle of view that made the car in front number plate easy to read on play-back, which some of the wider angle view cams are not so good.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If you want a decent driving/dash cam, try a GoPro, they're pretty indestructible cameras (a lot of the wide-angled remote camera shots you see on TV these days are shot on GoPro cameras), plus they film in HD too so more chance of seeing bad drivers' reg. plates... Smiley
Community Veteran

@Petlew, thanks for the tip off on the link I posted. Always good to have someone's personal experience Smiley
All4One
Grafter

Quote from: twocvbloke
If you want a decent driving/dash cam, try a GoPro, they're pretty indestructible cameras (a lot of the wide-angled remote camera shots you see on TV these days are shot on GoPro cameras), plus they film in HD too so more chance of seeing bad drivers' reg. plates... Smiley

Yeah, but I like the idea of jumping in a the device start to record, or with a simple button, and will loop record. Plus, a lot cheaper than a GoPro
If I really wanted, I could hook up my GH4 to film with Cheesy