cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dash Cam

Fixes: 125

Dash Cam

Rather than hijack the other thread I though it best to start a new one but if the mods feel they should be merged then please feel free Wink
I was looking into getting one and found this from Amazon. It is expensive but does have GPS which can give a lot more information that may be useful in perusing a claim.
Any thoughts on this or is there something similar but, maybe, slightly cheaper?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Dash Cam

I bought one of these from China :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121426502344
It arrived within the week and works very very well. I did have issues with corrupt video but that was down to the old memory card I had in it. When I replaced it with a Class 10 all was well.
The only awkward thing about it is the additional lead you need for the Sat feed, but as you've got to route one anyway two's just as easy.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

no experience of any dash cams..... just put the main part of the title from Amazon site into ebay search... and several cheaper versions... the last one has a 16GB card with it..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Ambarel...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I have been looking at the Transcend drive pro 200, also on Amazon price £86.99
Reviews have been fairly good but some users have given it a low rating due to it's inability to retain date & Time when switched off.
Hard to decide what to go for as prices vary considerably as do the reviews from users.
Community Veteran

I know some of these cameras work when the car is parked up but doesn't it make the car a target to thieves or vandals if they see the camera on show?

Quote from: gleneagles
Hard to decide what to go for as prices vary considerably as do the reviews from users.
Yes, they're my thoughts, too.
SWMBO wondered why you can't just put a smartphone in a holder and use that. I suspect the field of  vision wouldn't be so great Undecided
@artmo Yes, I've wondered that.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

according to the destructions with the one I got my old man, the camera can be mounted with Velcro pad(s) (his came with 3 of them) so you can change its position depending on what your doing.
if you get the type with the built in battery then cabling isn't an issue when changing its position for parking if you want it to remain motion activated to catch any smash n grab yobs in action. or you can put it into full off mode and shove in a jacket pocket or glove box.
(they booklet did advise not leaving it mounted to the dash)  it was rather similar to this http://www.spycamerasmall.com/detachable-car-dvr-portable-1080p-hd-camcorder-motion-detection-camera... although I couldn't find it listed with the place I actually got it from/
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Kremmen
Rising Star

Which one's have a decent built in battery because I would get one if I could charge it and it worked for a few hours without a lead. I nearly got a GoPro recently but noticed that like electric toothbrushes the batteries are sealed in.
Battery wears out = expensive bin fodder.
Let's be careful out there !
nanotm
Pro

if you get an el cheapo camera system chances are some parts of it wont work.
heres a page full of them http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191455901233?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=1... theres one you can get from a company called my memory (although you have to search for the "car dvr" rather than dash cam
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you

I'd rather spend more on getting something that will be reliable, have good quality footage and last for some considerable time. I'm not too worried about battery or using motion detection when the car is not in use but I do think GPS capability will be useful.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Kremmen
Battery wears out = expensive bin fodder.

Or just man up, take it apart and replace the battery... Roll eyes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1nsYd3lG60
Or get a later on which has a removable battery:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DER1I7tan5I
Kremmen
Rising Star

Go Pro Hero 4 Silver , removable battery, perfect, thanks
Let's be careful out there !

Another dashcam I've been looking at is the RAC02.
The GPS is a separate box but I don't see that as a major obstacle.
It has some good reviews but one downside I have read is that low light video isn't too good. Then again, others that seem to have good low light then lack something elsewhere. It'll always be some compromise unless one goes really high end.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As other threads on this subject will show I've tinkered with dash cams for a while with "cheapies" with varying degrees of success.
This past Christmas I was given one of these: https://www.cobra.com/products/dash-cams/cdr-820
They are available over here as the 820e from Argos I believe. Like most of these things customer reviews are widely in disagreement from absolute rubbish to "sliced bread" quality. Personally mine has given no problems whatsoever, with good angle of view and quite acceptable night reception.
And...the Quick Start instructions are refreshingly in understandable English. With an online pdf manual available if required.
I wonder if some users change the supplied class 6 card with a class 10 and cause their own problems.
However, this device is tiny (maybe the whole front of the device is 1 and 3/4 inch square) compared to others I've handled, this has pros and cons; my windscreen is the type that has a large shaded area in the top middle behind the mirror (about 10 inches wide by toughly 4 inches deep) nice in full head-on sun, so for this very small dash cam is very easy to hide the mounting . from the outside looking in you would hardly notice anything at a quick glance. As with all these things the power lead hanging down the middle of the screen is a pain but after a while you forget its there, as somebody else commented perhaps car manufacturers should wake up to this and provide a power outlet in the mirror area.
The con...because of its small size means the buttons are equally small and can be difficult to handle if you are blessed with large hands, so make all the adjustments and settings off mount in comfort using the very short internal battery life before fixing to the windscreen, fortunately the small screen image can be set to turn off after a short time. But then you shouldn't be driving with the image on should you? a small discreet red light indicates that recording is on.
I cautiously recommend it. I haven't had any trouble with mine but other customers apparently have. I wonder if some expect too much from a mid-range/cost product.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

Another that has been brought to my attention is the NextBase 402g.
It includes a 140o viewing angle, HDMI out, in-built GPS and G-Sensor. It is £15 cheaper from Halfords.