cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dartford Crossing

Community Veteran

Dartford Crossing

The toll booths at the Dartford Crossing are being removed with effect from 30th November.
Toll Booths
Hopefully this will help speed up traffic on the busy M25.
61 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Dartford Crossing

Has it not occurred to anyone that this may cause problems to people fresh off the cross channel ferries  Crazy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 121

Should have been free to use by 2003!
Will foreign plates be traceable and the drivers fined?
What if you have to cross but not pre-paid and don't get a chance to pay before the end of the next day?
On a side note I remember going to watch the bridge being built

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I went over the bridge BEFORE it opened officially. The Friday night before the official opening traffic was diverted over the bridge for a few hours while they did some other preparatory work.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I worked on the Dartford Crossing on generator controls
One of the perks of that job was being able to use a service tunnel and avoid the queues and charges  Smiley
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

And they've advertised the ways to pay incredibly well haven't they - TV adverts, radio adverts, adverts in the national papers.... NOT!
Of course if you don't pay you get a whopping £100 fine sent to you for it - despite them refusing to advertise it properly.
Oh but you can pay online I hear many of you shouting at your monitor in frustration to my comments... Thats all well and good assuming you have a computer, can read / write, have a credit or debit card etc. Believe it or not there are still many people who do not so what happens to them? - How do they pay?
As Mav says the bridge is supposed to be free now anyway. The government of the time made a deal with the public to fund it and they broke their side of the agreement. Why should they be allowed to issue penalties to motorists because they can't be bothered to advertise the new way it works or keep to their agreement?
It stinks! It's just another stealth tax that attacks the motorist. Eric Pickles himself wants the war on the motorist toned down and wanted to reduce parking restrictions etc to achieve this yet when it comes to the Dartford crossing he's more than happy to keep that revenue fraudulently. I think he's put himself into a pickle now because who will trust him now? - He had the perfect opportunity to make a mends with the motorists of the UK and scrap the toll completely but no... the greedy fat idiot and his biscuit pile decided the biscuits need funding  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: PeterLoftus
Has it not occurred to anyone that this may cause problems to people fresh off the cross channel ferries  Crazy

Drivers can pay in advance or up to midnight on the following day. Surely this is enough time.
Fixes: 47

It mainly affects the very wealthy south east residents....
/Coat
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

@atmo
My concern is that tourists may be caravanning or a lorry driver may be sleeping in his cab. They may be unaware of the arrangements before the see the signs on the tunnel entrance Undecided
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

@7Up, it has nothing to do with Eric Pickles - it is the Department of Transport.  As for publicising the changes they have been extensively advertised on radio and in the Press starting last week.
@PeterLoftus, if drivers are not aware of the changes until they arrive at the tunnel they still have until midnight on the following day to pay.

A little over 24 hours to pay doesn't seem enough time to me. Maybe you are off to France for a day or two or a wedding or one of many other options where you are simply too busy to think about or make a payment during that time.
Maybe you should make a payment using a smartphone as you approach or drive away from the crossing. I bet that's what I lot of drivers end up doing and there will be lots of cameras to catch them in the act! I'm not condoning the use of phones in this instance but suggesting that is what will happen.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

If I go through the tunnel with a caravan it will likely be because I'm heading for a kite festival. I'll be on a recreation ground from Friday pm until likely Monday am. I won't have a computer with me, I don't have a smart phone - how the hell am I supposed to pay within the time limit allowed?
At the moment as I head up the M3 aiming for the A12 I listen to the traffic reports and decide whether to go northabout or southabout, so I'm not going to be paying the toll in advance in case the M25 is blocked on the south. I just won't be ever using the crossing again.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I don't know this area but  it's clear to me many people who also do not know the area are going to have problems, is it not possible to have a long layby well before the tunnel where drivers can stop and  use a meter to pay in advance or just after the tunnel ?
I have seen nothing in the press or on TV about paying, perhaps newspaper editions in the North do not include this information.
Community Veteran

There are numerous ways to pay which seem to cover all eventualities  Smiley

Ways to pay
The cheapest way to pay is using a pre-pay account
Alternatively, once Dart Charge is operating you can make one-off payments in advance or by midnight the day after crossing:
    online at www.gov.uk/dart-charge
    over the phone by calling: 0300 300 0120
    via a payzone retail outlet
    by post (in advance only): Dart Charge Customer Services PO Box 842 Leeds LS1 9QF

Even normal parking tickets give you 2 weeks to pay before the charge increases Huh