cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dangerous products

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Dangerous products

Article in today's paper regarding the number of deaths caused by Beko products due to  known faults in some of their products but the company made little effort to contact or inform customers about these problems as that would have been more costly than paying a fine.
I recall that in America a number of years ago a well known car manufacturer was aware of faults in  one model of car which lead to the deaths of a number of people but it was easier to deny there was a fault and pay any fine or compensation without admitting guilt.
Fortunately they came unstuck with one Judge hitting them with a fine of millions of dollars but I am not sure if it also resulted in jail time for some executives of the company.
Pity we do not have judges like that in this country.
18 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Dangerous products

A simple search, show some fridges @ fault
https://www.google.com/search?q=deaths+caused+by+Beko+products&oq=deaths+caused+by+Beko+products&sou...
Apparently Beko known of some potential dangerous issue(s) since 2007 according to Which.co.uk
Beko fridge freezer recall
Leigh Day, the solicitors who represent Mr Benjamin-Muthiah's wife, told us that documents produced during the hearing showed that Beko had carried out risk assessments in 2007 and 2008.
Beko confirmed that in 2007 it used an independent risk assessor to investigate the faulty fridge freezers.
In November 2008 a further 46 incidents had occurred and the risk assessment company said there was a risk. Beko decided that no recall was required as it believed that the risk assessment was flawed.
Prior to 2010 Beko had attempted to carry out their own assessment by recreating the fault, but all its investigations and product tests were inconclusive. In late 2010 it started a programme of corrective action, leading to a safety notice being issued about the fridge freezers in 2011.
The coroner also made a decision today about the scope of the inquest into Mr Benjamin's death and decided that it will cover Beko's actions.

To see if your is in need of recall
Beko fridge freezer recall
Beko fridge freezer
Certain Beko fridge freezers are subject to a safety notice
Beko has recalled certain fridge freezers as they pose a fire risk. The fault is caused when the defrost timer fails and overheats.
To find out if you own a recalled Beko fridge freezer, find the model and serial number on a sticker inside the door (see image below).
The recalled fridge freezers have the following model numbers:
CA 5411 FFS (silver), CA 5411 FFW (white), CA 5411 FFX (stainless steel)
CA 7014 FFX (stainless steel)
CA 7015 FFW (white), CA 7015 FFS (silver), CA 7015 FFX (stainless steel)
CDA 539 FS (silver), CDA 539 FW (white), CDA 539 FX (stainless steel)
CDA 543 FS (silver), CDA 543 FW (white), CDA 543 FX (stainless steel)
CDA 645 FW (white)
CDA 647 FS (silver), CDA 647FW (white)
CDA 648 FS (silver), CDA 648FW (white)
CDA 653 FS (silver), CDA 653FW (white), CDA 653FX (stainless steel)
CDA 659 FS (silver)
CDA 751 FS (silver), CDA 751 FX (stainless steel)
CDA 752 FS (silver), CDA 752 FW (white), CDA 752 FX (stainless steel)
CS 460 FF (white), CS 460 FFS (silver), CS 460 FFSD (stainless steel)
CS 461 FFW (white), CS 461 FFS (silver)
CSA 4706 FFX (stainless steel)
CSB 4606 FFSD, CSB 4606 FFS (silver), CSB 4606 FFW (white)
If your model's serial number begins with 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05 or 06, you should contact Beko.
I could not see if this is the most current list

Beko Recalled Tumble Dryers
PowerLee
Rising Star

To be fair to Beko, I've seen plenty of safety recall notices in newspapers these last couple of years.
The issue is a lot of people just ignore them even though the repair is FREE.
Its the same with car recall's issued by VOSA, people ignore those as well even though in that case they get several letters through the door telling them about a safety recall  Roll eyes
My GF has a Beko fridge / freezer which wasn't part of the recall, we checked at the time on the Beko website.
gleneagles - your thinking Ford Pinto & the petrol tank explosions after rear impact  Wink
Fixes: 124

I remember checking my freezer against a list back in 2011. Wasn't on that list.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Personally just the name BEKO puts me off any of their products these days. They seem to have constant safety issues and that doesn't really quite seem right does it? - Who is designing their products? - drunken students?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Our Beko Fridge Freezer was bought in 2002 and given to us by my mum when we moved to a property without one 4 years ago. It works as well as new and never needs defrosting.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

That may be so Mav but Beko is a brand that cannot be trusted.
PowerLee
Rising Star

7up - I feel the exact same way about BMW Mini, anything to do with GM group & also VAG products  Wink

Just going by my own experience.
Mum also had a washing machine that she gave to us after 8 years daily use and it lasted another year with us.
I will add that, bearing in mind what's been reported over the last few years, I would hesitate to buy new now.

Community Veteran

Quote from: PowerLee
7up - I feel the exact same way about BMW Mini, anything to do with GM group & also VAG products  Wink

You forgot to add Toyota to that list  Tongue
TORPC
Grafter

Would that make them no less better as Toy(s) than the real thing Tongue Grin
Community Veteran

Toyota have had several mass recalls over the last few years TORPC, one family in the states were killed when their car braking shut down and they died while on the phone to the emergency services.
Thats why I'd never trust them again. They put growth over safety.
Honda however.. well they still seem to be pretty faultless. We have a battered old civic but it still starts on the button every time. Autobox despite being a bit jerky (and scary lol) seems to be indestructible too.

Honda Wink

Community Veteran

Seatbelts were probably made by a 3rd party anyway so I wouldn't really hold that against them. The supplier could have been using defective parts etc.
PowerLee
Rising Star

Quote from: 7up
Quote from: PowerLee

You forgot to add Toyota to that list  Tongue

Roll eyes
I'd happily buy a Toyota product using my STAFF discount, having seen what goes on behind the scenes I know Toyota are very active in recalling products if there is any safety concern's.
Shame certain other car manufacturer's don't follow there lead.