cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dangerous dust (explicit pictures included)

David_W
Rising Star

Dangerous dust (explicit pictures included)

A couple of days ago, with the windows open I smelt (is that the correct word, smelled? Smelt? Hrm) what seemed like plastic melting, I figured it was from outside.  I started playing Sim City 5 and not long after my sound would vanish and then my PC shut down on it's own.  Ahh, I thought, something seems to be amiss here.  I went into my BIOS and my CPU (after a restart when it should have cooled a fair bit) was running at 80c (176f).  I then understood that the smell of plastic burning may not have been coming from outside!
I decided that diagnostics where in order, so I pulled my PC case out and had a look inside.  The horror that met me.  Dust had gathered and started to plot a revolution!  The fans on my GPU cooler (aftermarket, Scythe, really an excellent choice), CPU, Case, Power supply, smothered in dust and behind, even worse.
A few minutes with a dust cloth and a soft brush got rid of the dust, I now have put the side on my case (before I left it wide open, not anymore).  I still really need to reseat my CPU and renew the thermal paste as I'm running 40c idle and up to 60 under load so I'm thinking that maybe the paste is past it's best before date.  The pictures are really horrific!  Taken with my lovely Nikon D5000 which is a fine (and reasonably priced 2nd hand) DSLR!
Now it's clean and clear, almost, but I'm surprised how much dust built up over really a rather short time, maybe a year or even less, simply because the case wasn't on properly!
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Dangerous dust (explicit pictures included)

Smelled, I think  Smiley
Terrible stuff, dust!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

i clean out my pc every 3 month, from the look of yours you may need a grinder to release some of that crap ;P
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
David_W
Rising Star

It's almost dust free now, behind the GPU/CPU/Case fans I peeled off the dust and made a dust castle 10 feet tall!  My PC is a bit noisy though so I figure there is still dust lurking around in the fans and my previously white CPU fans have a sort of orange, burnt colour to their edges.  Sim City 5 no longer crashes due to overheating though so I'm a happy bunny, for now, until I think what the inside of my laptop looks like.... ahh....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Seen worse than that lol.
Few years back a freecycler gave away loads of computers tht he'd collected to repair etc. I came home with around 10, didn't manage to get many working as most had duff boards so I freecycled the cases onwards but I did rescue a couple. The dust in those bad boys however was absolutely staggering.
My main PC gets cleaned out once per year and doesn't gather that much dust and it's used every day and left on for many hours (it's been running continually for about 8 days at the time of writing) yet it still won't suck much dust in. To be honest I try to avoid it with this machine as it's the quietest I've ever had and when I took the fan off and put it back previously it started to vibrate / rattle slightly.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

I have been reading that positive pressure (more fans taking in air than pushing it out) helps reduce the build-up of dust.
Positive air pressure

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I think I'd better have a look inside my PC Wink It's a while since I had the case off.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I always build all my PCs using positive air pressure cooling, it helps enormously preventing dust building up in the DVD drive and card reader bays.
For cleaning I have an ED500 datavac, which is a high powered blower for cleaning PCs, and is MUCH better than cans of compressed air.

If you get a datavac, DON'T clean a PC indoors (like the idiots on Youtube - e.g.
>
or http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=JyAeBNrb4HU)  otherwise you will have a room full of dust to clean up !
My top tip for keeping your PC clean from dust, is to install an air ioniser in the room.
The ioniser removes the electrical charge in the air which keeps the dust floating around, so all the dust falls to the floor (where is is easily hoovered away) and you are left with a room which has noticeably no floating dust and hence it doesn't get sucked into your PCs anywhere near as much.
David_W
Rising Star

That positive air thing does look pretty interesting, before reading I figured it'd suck in air from outside and the front fans would evenly distribute the dust inside the case but the use of filters does the job, might have to look at getting a new case!  I did once purchase a umm, not sure what it's called, you stick it at the bottom and it sucks the hot air before ejecting it through the back to help keep it cool, though with my lack of a side case the airflow wouldn't have been working (at all).  I think my PSU fan sucks up hot air too and ejects it out the back, or maybe it sucks in cool air... I have no idea what my airflow is.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I had the case of my PC recently, and was surprised how LITTLE dust is in there. It's a Dell Dimension 9200 stock case, cooler etc. The grill at the front has a little build up but that is it.
I also got an xbox of ebay, and it was CLOGGED with dust, the fans, side vents, coolers. Got the hoover and brush on to them and installed a secondary fan on the top to cool the box down. (I have had 4 xboxs now and all died the same way overheating, hence my trying extra cooling)
I do remember working on pc's that came from smokers, what's worse than dust? Dust + Nicotine residue/tar. That and the STINK!  Lips are sealed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Hairy
I had the case of my PC recently, and was surprised how LITTLE dust is in there. It's a Dell Dimension 9200 stock case, cooler etc. The grill at the front has a little build up but that is it.

We got an emachines EL1352. It also collects very little dust too. When I opened it up after the warranty expired I was very surprised at how little there was compared to many machines.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I service someones clogged PC about once a year and that stinks of "Shake n VacCrazy
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: purleigh
I always build all my PCs using positive air pressure cooling, it helps enormously preventing dust building up in the DVD drive and card reader bays.
For cleaning I have an ED500 datavac, which is a high powered blower for cleaning PCs, and is MUCH better than cans of compressed air.

If you get a datavac, DON'T clean a PC indoors (like the idiots on Youtube - e.g.
>
or http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=JyAeBNrb4HU)  otherwise you will have a room full of dust to clean up !
My top tip for keeping your PC clean from dust, is to install an air ioniser in the room.
The ioniser removes the electrical charge in the air which keeps the dust floating around, so all the dust falls to the floor (where is is easily hoovered away) and you are left with a room which has noticeably no floating dust and hence it doesn't get sucked into your PCs anywhere near as much.

Great i may invest in one of those, but why do they call it a vac when it dont suck it blows Tongue
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Razer
Grafter

Smelt is perfectly correct. As is smelled. Whichever you prefer. As to your main post:
OMFG Shame on you! I can't believe you let it get that bad. lol I must admit though, sometimes I can let mine slide. I always try to clean it out at least every three months, but usually it's every four.
EDIT: About positive pressure. Mine definitely sucks air in from the side vents. I don't know what I can do to change that. Maybe the small fan I have at the back is too much (being right next to the PSU fan, which is large of course), but I'm not sure it's a good idea to disconnect it.
JamesM
Grafter

Good article Mav, I am just about to turn off my computer and switch my top fan from outake to intake. Might keep my heatsink cooler too.  Cool