Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dangerous driving in the supermarket

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Dangerous driving in the supermarket

from Bournemouth Echo
A MARKS and Spencer employee escaped with bruising and shock after being pinned against a till when an elderly man lost control of his mobility scooter.
The elderly man is said to have crashed the powerful scooter into one till, pushing two more tills out the way and cutting the electric cable to one of them, before wedging the female till assistant between the till and the wall behind her.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Dangerous driving in the supermarket

Probably practising his "off roading" skills !  Grin Grin Grin
jmd
Grafter

Gosh Oldjim, you have some exciting events reported in your local paper!
Fixes: 101

Yeah we only seem to get stabbings and shootings, nothing as exciting as this  Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
techguy
Grafter

Wonder what he'll be charged with and whether they'll take his batteries away  Smiley
Community Veteran

Did he get breathalysed?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: techguy
Wonder what he'll be charged with and whether they'll take his batteries away  Smiley

Nah.... but he will be charged with a salt and battery and re volt ing driving driving and probably cashiered from the store ! ! !  Grin Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A'hem, just to spoil the frivolity that was just starting up, my wife drives one of these things, a collapsible car transportable type, without exception they all work the same way (as far as I know!!) it is controlled via a central rocker thumb controlled switch on the handlebars; push the left side to reverse, and the right to go forward, its difficult to see how control is lost, if you take your hands off the controls the scooter stops very quickly, bit like a dead-mans-handle. There is an adaptation that allows a "cycle brake" type lever for those who have "problem thumbs" to be fitted but doesn't replace the rocker bar, again letting go of the lever will bring the scooter to a rapid stop.
Please feel free to resume the humour...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I just thought maybe he called into M&S on the way home from the pub for something for his tea.
Driving those scooters seem hard enough never mind when you have had a few pints
Community Veteran

[me=Be3G]doesn't have a very high opinion of those scooters ever since he turned around one day whilst walking to find one right on his heels, thus necessitating a very swift change of direction on his part.[/me]
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have seen more than one form of control
a) there are single speed and two speed.   4 or 8MPH,  in pedestrian area only 4 mph
b) driven some at Nat Trust sites I am sure they had twist grips  
c) some have a Joy stick control, forward and reverse
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I bow to your greater knowledge pierre.
In my wifes case it is limited to 4mph and 10 mile range, the bigger ones can be 8mph with up to 30 mile range, these are the ones that are fitted with lights, indicators etc. soft suspension and much bigger pneumatic tyres, designed to be non-collapsible, and can be extremely heavy. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The only time I have actually used one was just before my wife had a pacemaker fitted and my hip was playing up, now she regularly walks 4 mile a day.  Borrowed at Ickworth House, Audley End (English Heritage), recently pushed Mum around in Class one at Anglesey Abbey.  Mother in Law is on about her fifth or maybe tenth, simple ones, fold up in boot ones, now I think one of the 4 wheel Joystick ones.
Yesterday nearly saw the same in our Local Sainsbury, A Giant of a Lad in about the Biggest Buggy trying to demolish the end of the Drinks aisle
was just looking around for pics but cant find any of the controls, but what I did find and didnt know was that there are Class 1 - people powered, Class 2 up to 4mph,
Class 3 up to 8 mph and they have to be registered with the DVLA since 2007.  No Road tax, but a tax disc, No MOT, No Number plates, must have lights and indicators, no compulsory insurance and if on a deresticted road an Orange Beacon
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Er on wagon at Ickworh 2006