cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dangerous White goods

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Dangerous White goods

Seems a number of fires have been caused by Spin Driers, Dish Washers and several other items.
It is claimed the manufacturers have known about these problems for years so you may wish to check out if your items are on the list,
http://safety.hotpoint.eu
http://safety.indesit.eu
No doubt their are other sites covering other makes
Smiley
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Dangerous White goods

Ever since Indesit bought out the old GEC-Hotpoint in 2001, the brands that fell under the Hotpoint umbrella just turned into utter junk, anything made by Hotpoint today is just rebranded indesit rubbish, best avoided...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Hard to know who makes what these days.
Companies are often taken over and continue to trade in the same name, something you bought many years ago has given you great service so you are tempted to replace it with the same only to discover what you got is unrealiable or has safety issues.
Be interested to see how they are going to deal with this problem as the current advice to those who have such machines is keep using them but not to leave them unattended.
Community Veteran

They are sending engineers out to modify the faulty machines.
What surprises me is that machines back as far as 2004 are affected.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

its more surprising that this only just hit front page news, I had a machine I bought in 04 repaired by them in 06 when they contacted me about a potential problem (its in the list of affected items) maybe they are worried that some of this kit is still in use and people didn't bother to register for the free guarantee so they cant track them down /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Up to 28 days wait for an engineer to ring back and make an appointment
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran

I guess if you have been waiting up to 11 years then 28 days isn't so bad Wink Wink
Community Veteran

Hotpoint sent an engineer to modify our dishwasher a while back.
The change was to replace a sensor in the latch with a modified version that included a shield against water/fluid/debris getting into the electrics.
Needless to say ours was in pristine condition and I struggled to see how anything would get in there.
But maybe some people are in the habit of pouring stuff into any small orifice in electrical equipment....  Crazy
quelquod
Aspiring Pro

We've got a tumble dryer from 2005-ish which flags on their website as one that's at risk  Sad.
The issue seems to be to do with a buildup of fluff getting into the heating element or motor. I can imagine this is possible. We (well, my wife  Embarrassed) clean the fluff filter at every use but the last time I had the machine pulled out there was a substantial buildup all the way back down the venting tube and even partly clogging the wall outlet so clearly lots gets past the filter.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!