Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dangerous Cheap Chargers

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Dangerous Cheap Chargers

How safe is your phone charger?
As they are blamed for a growing number of house fires, how cheap devices bought online could place your family at risk
Many cheap devices fail to meet requirements of the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations Act 1994
Unsafe devices are often made in China for as little as 3p
1.8 million mobile phone chargers are bought online in UK each year
It's been mentioned a few times before, here is quite a comprehensive item on Dangerous Cheap Chargers
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2632300/How-safe-phone-charger-As-blamed-growing-number-hous...

I never buy cheap chargers.
Even so, with branded manufacturer supplied units, I still unplug them overnight, or if I am out of the house.
Li-ion batteries also being a possible source of fire....

Mains plug PSU's, slightly different, as many are required to be left plugged in for PVRs etc.
But I always first plug them in, in the morning, when I am at home for the day, whenever I can
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Dangerous Cheap Chargers

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

yeah the only one I've ever had go bang cost 35 quid ......
I've had plenty of cheap ones off t'internet (sub £5) that made a funny noise when I went to use them (high pitched warble) so I chucked them out and got a different one without wasting any time or sleep over it.
as you say its more about being careful than it is about where they come from, so many things are prone to failure through damage caused in shipping conditions that it wouldn't be prudent to just assume stuff is "good" and use it without some basic checks (personally I always run a multi meter test on new gear) but that would also require that everyone was trained in testing techniques (perhaps something that could be introduced in schools along with how to wire a plug....) certainly it would prevent a lot of accidents from dodgy electrical equipment's in homes going forward as the youngsters become adults ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My phone charger stays plugged in an extension socket and has been on for a few month now.
Nowt wrong and doesn't overheat, it is a genuine Samsung plug and lead to charge up my S4 and S5
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Here’s How To Spot A Fake / Counterfeit iPhone Or iPad Charger
Electronics expert Ken Shirriff has outlined one or two tell-tale signs that should help you differentiate a real from a counterfeit.
For one, a real charger – one made by Apple, that is – will bear the trademark “Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China,” on it, as well as noting the manufacturer as “Foxlink.”
A fake, meanwhile, is unlikely to have these inscriptions, although often, may still include the “TM © 2010 Apple Inc.”
http://www.redmondpie.com/heres-how-to-spot-a-fake-counterfeit-iphone-or-ipad-charger/?utm_source=fe...